News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Nothing happens when opening Simutrans

Started by Mr emulator, June 01, 2015, 03:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr emulator

Hello

I just downloaded Simutrans but when opening it (double clicking on the simutrans app), nothing happens. I installed
1) Version 120.0.1 Nov 16 2014 r7373 (debug)
2) SDL2.framweork in the frameworks folder
3) packset (standard and japan): I copied these in the Simutrans folder
I am using a MacBook Pro retina with Mavericks 10.9.5
What am I doing wrong?

Vladki

Try running it from command line (terminal). The output may tell whats wrong

DrSuperGood

QuoteI am using a MacBook Pro retina with Mavericks 10.9.5
Guessing it has something to do with SDL2 being missing. I think the Mac build uses SDL2 which is not a standard part of the OS.

Mr emulator

Opening in the terminal (using the open command and the file path) does nothing, only putting the finder window in he foreground. I installed SLD2 so not really sure what is wrong.

DrSuperGood

So the process immediately closes when started from command line without printing out anything to standard out/err? Some form of error should be generated somewhere for it to be closing instantly.

Are all other dependiencies installed? In Windows it also depends on a "pthread" library however I would imagine Mac would natively support that due to Linux background.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on June 01, 2015, 10:35:11 PM
[...]I would imagine Mac would natively support that due to Linux background.

Mac ins't Linux-based. It's Unix-based. Newer Mac OSes are however Posix-certified, according to Wikipedia, which is the p in pthreads. That's about all I know about Mac, though. I don't think we have many here that know Mac, unfortunately.

Vladki

I use linux, not mac. But running any program from command line does NOT involve any "open" command. Just type simutrans or /path/to/simutrans

Mr emulator

When writing the pathname
/Users/samuelvanransbeeck/Downloads/simutrans
I get only this as a result:
-bash: /Users/samuelvanransbeeck/Downloads/simutrans: is a directory
MacBook-Pro-van-Samuel:simutrans.app samuelvanransbeeck$

DrSuperGood

QuoteMac ins't Linux-based. It's Unix-based. Newer Mac OSes are however Posix-certified, according to Wikipedia, which is the p in pthreads. That's about all I know about Mac, though. I don't think we have many here that know Mac, unfortunately.
Modern versions of the OS are based on Linux. The kernel branched from Linux many years ago already and they completely rewrote the driver system to make it more proprietary (so you cannot run on hardware other than they provide). If you open the command line on Mac it functions very closely to Linux with even some Linux OS commands working (well they used to, more and more get replaced with Mac exclusive commands).

Apple was not the only company to do that. Android from Google also is based on the Linux kernel and has branched significantly over the years (however that was due to a disagreement over strict and unproductive review process adopted by Linux maintainers). Google is slowly trying to bring many of their Android features back into Linux.

QuoteWhen writing the pathname
You need to type the path to the executable. You typed in the path to the installation folder. On mac this is not an ".exe" file but fundamentally it should serve the same purpose (entry point for a process). To see what files are available the "ls" command should work if I recall.

When starting an executable you need to specify an absolute path. This usually beings with "./" where "." means working directory for the command line. You can change the working directory with the command "cd". ".." can be used to go to parent folder when placed in a path string.

Vladki

Afaik OSx is based on BSD unix. Not linux. But the command line is mostly the same.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on June 02, 2015, 01:01:07 PM
Modern versions of the OS are based on Linux. The kernel branched from Linux many years ago already and they completely rewrote the driver system to make it more proprietary

You can't rewrite Linux into something proprietary. The GNU license totally forbids it. Google tried, and was forced to open source Android. BSD licenses are very different.

Mr emulator

I added simutrans at the end: /Users/samuelvanransbeeck/Downloads/simutrans/simutrans.app but still nothing happens.

prissi

app is also not always the executable. It may well be that you have one of the cross compiled versions which fails on the newest macs.

(Also mac is based on Darwin, which is OpenSource. Historically is had relations to a Mach microkernel, which was also the base for Windows NT. So it is not unix, only posix. The commandline emulates a unix shell though, since those are also partly standartise defacto.)

TurfIt

Quote from: Mr emulator on June 02, 2015, 12:29:30 PM
When writing the pathname

Assuming you have downloaded the file "simumac-sdl2-120-0-1.zip" from sourceforge (the SDL2 version), and you have unzipped the archive to the path above, and you have unzipped a pak into the same place, then you need to change to that directory, and execute the "simutrans" executable. e.g.
    cd /Users/samuelvanransbeeck/Downloads/simutrans
    ./simutrans

If you try to run simutrans from the .app, the console will not display. Hence if any errors occur, you cannot see them. That's why the non-.app executable is also provided (but only with the SDL2 version).