News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Forum attachments discussion

Started by Colin, August 13, 2008, 10:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

This may be the wrong place for this, but here goes. There seems to be a problem when posting Screenshots. i tried to make a post with a Screenshot and was told that the shot was too big (211kb) as only 200kb was allowed. I reduced the size to just below 200kb, then was told that I had 'already posted' this, but it wasn't displayed on the board.

I then made a new post and was told that the shot was to big (187kb) as I was only allowed 150kb. Now I'm totally confused.

The above notwithstanding, surely the allowed size should be at least the same size as the programs own Screenshot, (211kb).
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Ashley

The forum's attachment limit is quite low at the moment until we know how much bandwidth everything is using and whether we can enlarge it. I believe the size limit also varies by attachment type, renaming the file could help solve the "already posted" problem.

I'd suggest using a picture upload service like Flicker or something to post pictures bigger than the limit until it's all sorted out though.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

PatrickN

An off-site image storage site is probably a good idea for sharing screenshots.  I would suggest photobucket, but there is also a site called imageshack.  I have nearly 900 images worth 77 MB and none of them put a strain on a forum's bandwidth. You shouldn't have to worry about filling up a photobucket account.  I'm not even 8% full yet.:)  There are lots of advantages, like being able to access your personal screenshot database, and never having to worry about losing them if the forum has to move again down the road.

Painter, in and out of retirement.

IgorEliezer

The current situation about attachments is the following:

Allowed file types: gif,jpg,pdf,png,txt,zip,rar,tab,dat,sve
Max attachment size per post: 200 KB
Max size per attachment: 150 KB

Max number of attachments per post:4

Then we have a new policy about attachments here.

I think we should save space and bandwidth from/against files that we attach in forum for temporary uses (screenshots and saves just to show a bug).

Then "where to host a savegame or a screeshot when I want to show a bug or ask for a help?"

I leave here a small list of services dedicated to image/file hosting:

http://www.sendspace.com
http://www.4shared.com
http://www.photobucket.com
http://www.imageshack.us

I would ask for everyone to use such services in order to avoid attaching files that become useless after a time. I can't guarantee reliability of all services above, because I only use and know photobucket, I have to say I'm happy with it. ;)

EDIT: Fixed. See text in blue.

Colin

Could you please explain the difference in these two statements? Sorry, I'm a bit slow today.

Max attachment size per post: 150 KB
Max size per attachment: 200 KB
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

V813

Quote from: Colin on August 14, 2008, 08:34:02 AM
Could you please explain the difference in these two statements? Sorry, I'm a bit slow today.

Max attachment size per post: 150 KB
Max size per attachment: 200 KB
Seems like the forum does not accept any single file larger than 200KB, nor does it accept posts with total file size larger than 150KB...
V813
Simutrans newbie.

Colin

Quote from: V813 on August 14, 2008, 09:10:53 AM
Seems like the forum does not accept any single file larger than 200KB, nor does it accept posts with total file size larger than 150KB...

Doesn't that mean in essence that you can not post a file larger than 150kb? If so, don't they both mean the same thing?

Thought for the day

Spike

Yes, these setting effectively limit postings to 150kb size in total.

The settings don't mean the same thing, but with the numbers currently in use the "size per attachment" is meaningless since the total is lower than the max size for one attachment.

I think the values have been accidentally switched and were meant to be 150kb per file and 200kb total per post?

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Hajo on August 14, 2008, 09:59:56 AM
I think the values have been accidentally switched and were meant to be 150kb per file and 200kb total per post?

Correct. :) I corrected my post above.

PatrickN

Simplified statement: You can have up to four files adding up to a maximum of 200kb, with no single file being over 150kb.  You can even have this list: 1 150kb file, 1 10kb file, and 2 20kb files; or you can have 1 150kb file and 1 50kb file.  You cannot have a single 151kb file.

Photobucket lets you upload a full-screen image up to 1MB in size.

ansgar

Hi,

please allow .diff and .patch files to be uploaded so that patches can be contributed more easily.

Thanks,
Ansgar

IgorEliezer

diff and patch added. :)

Also I disallowed svn format file because saved games are attached here in most cases just for temporary purposes, such as Bug reports and Help requests. Then, if anyone wants to show us a saved game, please, use a online file storage and post the link of saved game.

VS

svn -> sve

(but it's likely wrong just in this text)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Please do not disallow sve. This is really really need for debugging. And zipping sve is mostly useless, since sve are created with libz, which pack 70-90% of zips efficiency. No gain, only more hassle by disallowing sve. Sorry to overule you.

However, why allow rar and pdf. One packer should be enough? And for what purpose pdf?

pplk

the purpose of pdf is about instructions to install mod hack etc   i think

Colin

Thought for the day

wipi35

I tried to post a message with 4 attachments. Type is .jpg, total 33KB. So within the constraints but message appears:

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Since we're having this debate, here's what I recommend:

1. Allow all file types, or be very liberal with the allowances
2. Let it be known that old attachments will disappear with time

Reasoning:
1. File size is acceptably small at the moment. And we should not allow it to creep upward with time... Even a BMP, if you can make it smaller than 150K, is fine IMHO ;-)
2. Periodically, we use the admin maintenance to remove attachments older than, say, three months...

So we encourage people to realize that any attachments are moderately temporary...

Now, that's my outlook, and the entire process is up for discussion. :)

Spike

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 20, 2008, 02:27:03 PM
Since we're having this debate, here's what I recommend:

1. Allow all file types, or be very liberal with the allowances

I suggest to avoid all executable formats, though. IMO those are too dangerous. Zipping them and having the user to unpack before executing means less convenience, but also to think about what one is doing there.

PatrickN

I agree with Isaac and Hajo there.  Is there a total limit to how much storage each account has for attachments?  I know that can cause less convenience, too, but it would also encourage members to use photobucket or google sites to store images and files and save some space for the forum.

seb444

I have the same problem but I tried to post a message with 1 attachement ^^

vilvoh

Me too. it seems that happens the same with any file attached to a comment you want to post. I guess somebody disabled attachments.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Spike

Attachments and attachment types seem to be currently discussed by the admins and moderators. I'm sure the problem will be solved soon.

Edit: And SMF has a max. folder size for all uploads and attachments (total of all users). Default is 10MB, maybe that is exhausted already.

prissi

Indeed, it was exhausted. Also there is no option to clean it out, aparently?!? Set it to 132 MB, so it will work for another month or two ...

prissi

It seems the forum has a total attachment folder size capped at 10MB put it to 128MB, but there is aparently no way to delete older file or so. At least not from the admin panel.

Spike

SMF has an option to clean out attachments based on time, like all older than 4 weeks ... but this is still unpleasant because some things might be worth keeping, while others should go.

We can ask the users to remove no longer needed attachments. That might help a bit, too.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Admin -> Attachments and Avatars -> File Maintenance

options avail:

- Delete attachments older than X days
- Delete attachments over X size
- Delete attachments for members not active in X days

Also, I'm upping the attachment space -- we have plenty of room, from the resources allotted by Hellmade... The only concern is if the forum starts to slow down his server, that's one thing to back off from...

EDIT: Er, just looked again -- the current total allowed attachment space is 128Mb, and current used space is ~10mb

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Hajo on August 20, 2008, 07:39:41 PM
We can ask the users to remove no longer needed attachments. That might help a bit, too.

Or else we can ask the users to use a online file storage and post the link.

See an example how it works well:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=68.msg872#msg872

Gauthier used imagilive.com to store the images and he posted the links here.

Please, let me get home after I come back from university (in 7 hours), I want to discuss more about.

vilvoh

IMHO, that method is good for images and screenshots but bad for pak files (related with what Hajo said about things that worth keeping) So, should we remove all image file formats (jpg, gif, png) from the allowed file types list to prevent a new overflow? We can force users to use only zip files as attachments so we can safe disk space.

P.D: if you have a gmail account, you can use picasa web albums to host images.

Colin

I agree with Isaac, and would offer the following suggestions.

All sve and screenshots should be removed after one month. If the haven't been read or seen by then they probably never will. All posts in Bug Reports should be removed after being solved. All posts in other boards should be removed after a set period, say 3 months or, when a moderator deems them to be no longer viable.

An example of this would be like the post where I nominated Wernieman for Devotee status. He has been accepted so now all the posts regarding that could be removed.

If it's not feasible to remove them alltogether then make an Archive Board and move them all to there. Then after a given period, say 6 months, review them and delete those not applicable anymore.

Thought for the day

Colin

Should'nt this topic be moved to the Forum Transitions Board? I've just found comments here which are virtually the same as the ones in the FTB.

Thought for the day

vilvoh

Too many deletions. Don't get me wrong, I think we could "work" with some things. but I think It's quite excessive to remove a post after 3 months (overall, if that post is important). After all post are not the problem. IMHO, it would be better to archive them instead of delete them. We can host images in external sites, too. So I'm agree with Colin on deleting all stuff that has been used and won't be used in a near future (solved bug reports, development screenshots, help request that can be gathered in a FAQ, announcements) but we should keep things like pak files from objects, usefull images (diagrams, samples, etc..)

Colin

Quote from: vilvoh on August 20, 2008, 09:40:14 PM
but we should keep things like pak files from objects, usefull images (diagrams, samples, etc..)

I'm sorry I should have made myself more clear. I never intended for PAK files, or even the Simutrans .exe's, to be deleted. Only common forum posts that are no longer viable.

Thought for the day

Spike

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on August 20, 2008, 08:00:42 PM
EDIT: Er, just looked again -- the current total allowed attachment space is 128Mb, and current used space is ~10mb

Prissi just had raised it from 10 to 128. So at the moment we have some time to think and find solutions, but some day we'll hit the limit again.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Part of the problem was that on my server, we had several gigs worth of attachments... But the server could handle it...

So depending, we may well be able to allow 500mb-1gb-2gb or whatever of attachments in theory...

OTOH, we don't want to take up all of Hellmade's resources, either...

I don't think we need to remove any *posts*, just old attachments...