News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Cities and passenger/mail generation parameters

Started by colonyan, November 27, 2012, 03:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

We have global passenger/mail generation level which is 16 in default.
How would game play would change if different cities had different passenger/mail generation level?
Or evenmore, separate level for passenger and mail?

Cities in more economic affluent region may produce more passenger/mail demande.

Player could required to take into account demande difference between cities in different region to respond to
create more efficient network.

On the other hand, those number better be fixed or set to change very very slowly so that player can have time to manage.

Maybe also somekind of average pax/mail generation level must be maintained throughout the map so it always have
generation level difference among cities.

sdog

What would be the advantage of such a change.

Also, what's the reason you suggest this, is the likelyhood of a person sending mail greatly different between different spots of a country? (say a large one like the US)

Sarlock

It's my guess that a player would probably not even know that there is a different level of mail/passenger generation unless the difference is really drastic.  The amount is quite dynamic as it is between timeline changes and population growth, you're usually just busy keeping up to demand without really analyzing the demand differential between locations, especially in the later years when the exponential growth rate really takes off.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

colonyan

Quote from: sdog on November 27, 2012, 04:04:34 AM
What would be the advantage of such a change.
Well for me, it sounds already more interesting if I know my clients aren't going to be uniform as before.
This is more so in a game which speed of change(cities growth) is slow where player can have enough time to adapt.
(Player can always modify the size of map and number of cities before starting a game.)

ADD: Lets say for example, cities in left half of map generates less passenger/mail. Largest cities are at center of map. Player will be either invest less infrastructure, run less train, arrange routes so less train go that region etc, etc. On contrary, if there is a region with more passenger/mail generation per population, player needs to invest more heavily on that region.

Quote from: sdog on November 27, 2012, 04:04:34 AM
Also, what's the reason you suggest this, is the likelyhood of a person sending mail greatly different between different spots of a country? (say a large one like the US)
Simply from the fact that in most countries, there is rich region and poor region. Income disparity inside a nation.

Quote from: Sarlock on November 27, 2012, 04:17:00 AM
It's my guess that a player would probably not even know that there is a different level of mail/passenger generation unless the difference is really drastic.  The amount is quite dynamic as it is between timeline changes and population growth, you're usually just busy keeping up to demand without really analyzing the demand differential between locations, especially in the later years when the exponential growth rate really takes off.
This is common situation where player's willingness to expand its network is exceeded by the cities growth. If player decide to not reach every corner of civilization, he/she no longer need to run after network management. It depends on how player decide to play. If a game is made so its change is slow enough, I think player will have chance to notice. Also as you say, difference better be something large that it is noticeable. Say for rough idea, 50%/100%/150%. Cities might tell its next ten(whatever number seems reasonable) years forecast of its economic growth.