News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Characterized Cities

Started by colonyan, December 28, 2014, 04:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

We got
1. locality_factor (decides if people would travel closer or further in general) (1~10000)
2. City growth factor (which defines how fast city grows depending on what size stage it is(village, town, city))
3. Passenger factor (this governs overall passenger generation level)(between 16~24? , larger number give more pass/mail)

Those value are shared among all cities in same map. So all cities behave same way as of growth in theory.
Only thing it affect is how well pass/mail depart AND number of effective area of final freight consuming industry around the city.

If game could be coded in the way that 1. 2. and 3. values can be assigned separately, it could give some new variety in city growth behavior.
This will result in more careful play style in analysis of customer demand as a transportation company/organization.
Also just cities behaving differently adds flavor.

Possible situations
A. A large city that barely grows and passenger it generate would only travel to closer places. But it generates above average.
B. A medium city that is really hard to grow but generate many passengers that wants to travel further than other cities.
C. Small village which will neither generate many passenger and which requires lots of service to grow.
so on and so on.

But to be this to be more effective, cities in same area should share the tendency of those factors.
Also these values should be easily accessible for players for study their future development of its network.

EDIT1:ADD:
Game must continuously offer opportunity to grow player's network but the way it offers could use more variation.

I brought this up as discussion material. I'd like to hear what do you think.

Ters

I think 1 should be global. It's a representation of how easy it is to travel, increasing as people move from travelling by foot to travelling by train and car, and finally travelling by aircraft. It reflects that in 1930, most people never left their home country. By 1970s, vacations by the Mediterranean became possible for most northern Europeans. Today, almost everyone travel half-way around the world.

colonyan

Quote from: Ters on December 28, 2014, 10:21:53 AM
I think 1 should be global. It's a representation of how easy it is to travel, increasing as people move from travelling by foot to travelling by train and car, and finally travelling by aircraft. It reflects that in 1930, most people never left their home country. By 1970s, vacations by the Mediterranean became possible for most northern Europeans. Today, almost everyone travel half-way around the world.
I see. I'm convinced. I thought of modifier per city but it feels little far fetched.