News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Playing with scenarios

Started by IgorEliezer, October 27, 2008, 11:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isidoro

I like wlindley idea.  No need to limit that to single player, imho.

But going back to topic, about the game vs. simulation issue: should Simutrans observe the game state, the player's activity, key strokes even and, if too low, do something artificial about it?  A thing that would otherwise not happen if the player happens to be busy?

Or should the game be more fair and have specific rules about what happens or not at the risk of being dull sometimes?

The first option seems to me the same as breakdowns, natural disasters, etc. of other commercial games: something to keep the player playing with nothing behind it.  I feel deceived with such things, and a little used somehow.

jamespetts

I think that the posited dichotomy between game and simulation is rather a false one; Simutrans is a simulation game: that is, a game which is founded on simulation. That it is a game does not mean that it cannot be a simulation, and that it is a simulation does not mean that it cannot be a game. It is possible to have a game that is not a simulation, and a simulation that is not a game, but the categories are not mutually exclusive. A game is something whose purpose is to be fun to the player, and is in some material sense artificial. A simulation is an artificial recreation of some facets of reality. A simulation game is a simulation whose purpose is to be fun; more particularly, where the fun is derived from the very fact that it is a simulation.

Different people enjoy different aspects of Simutrans, of course, but, from my perspective, up to a point, at least, the more realistic the simulation, the more fun the game, as it is far more satisfying to succeed in the game and know that doing that same thing in that part of reality that is being simulated would probably likewise succeed; the fun of a simulation game comes from suspending one's disbelief, and imagining oneself immersed in the world of actual transportation, pretending for a moment that one really is a canal baron, railway entrepreneur or airline mogul; imagining that one actually is working out what 'bus networks in a town will give optimal results within a transport company's budget. The more places in which the game does not accurately simulate reality, the more that those limitations jar with one's imagination and the less immersive and fun that the game becomes.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

missingpiece

Quote from: jamespetts on January 04, 2012, 12:57:39 PM(argument against game vs simulation dichotomy)
Well spoken. Now what is your position towards the suggestion in the OP, and which on-topic posts do you favour ?

neldot

Hello, sorry if this was already answered, but I can't find it in the forum.

Where can I find a description of all the current objectives available for use in scenarios, and how they work?

I have read this useful entry of the WIKI, but it's not exhaustive:
http://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_CreatingScenarios

Currently, I would like to build scenarios with my homemade maps, where a certain number of specific cities must be connected by railroads to win the scenario, recreating real life situations of the past.
Is it possible at the state of the art? Can I add more objectives to the same scenario?

Thank you.

Dwachs

The wiki page describes the current state-of-the-art. I work on making scriptable scenarios possible, but it is not finished.

I strongly encourage you to publish your scenario idea in this forum board:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?board=60.0

That is, posting the map, rules, objectives, story, everything you want to see in your finished scenario.

Then possible players of the scenario will have to download the map and then play according to your guidelines written in the forum. In the forum board there are some examples of such an undertaking.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

neldot

Thank you, Dwachs. I'll see what I can do.

I have some good homemade maps of Italy and italian regions (I did them using digital elevation models, and manually placing all the cities, even the smallest ones, in the correct locations), but they were done with previous Simutrans version, so there could be some compatibility issues with the latest versions (for example, with the roads).

Dwachs

Compatibility issues can be resolved.It would be some work but it is not impossible.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

NefHas

Does anyone knoe the passwod for the New York scenario?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Could you give a little more context regarding your question? Perhaps it wasn't this thread, but another?