News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Explanation Required: RE:- Ground Pak and Half Height.

Started by Spartanis, October 14, 2011, 09:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartanis

To whom it may concern,

I like to ask two questions regarding the game. I wish to create my own version of pakset (and if completed and also worthwhile, I'll publish the pak).

In doing so, i need to understand the following two points:

1. GROUND PAK.

I have read in all possible areas concerning creating a ground pak. But my efforts brought to chaotic ERR messages from the game itself whenever I use the new ground.pak. I must be missing something crucial.

Can someone take the time to explain the process, without leaving anything out, in great relevant detail on creating a ground pak from scratch (with the assumption you have a series of images at hand)

2. HALF HEIGHT

I know that one has to set the simutrans program height values in the code, but i am confused on how to achieve this. Can someone explain how i can create a SIMUTRANS program that allows my ground pak with HALF HEIGHT values?

oh btw, if any of youse place a link to any site, than you have not properly read my board post. *smiles* and thus i shall disregard it. why? cos these links, of which no doubt, i have visited, but show poor or lack of information on creating anything. i stress that alot of enthusiastic simutrans players so wanted to create a building or such, but unable to do so because the extreme difficulties in understanding these available instructions! :P And yes, i had to learn on how to create a pak by trial an error!!

and yes, i have asked these questions a few times, and i do get bits of vital infomation, but my poor brain is having trouble putting two and two together lol

The ultimate goal i wish to acheive is a PAK64 game with different "style" of graphics along with new ideas i have. Sure, i like the EXPERIMENTAL Simutrans but by golly, that is a hard and extremely difficult game to play. So, I wanted to go back to simple simutrans and improove that through PAK rather than CODING.

and the ULTIMATE ULTIMATE goal is also to create an extensive tute/wiki like site contain everything about creating a PAK from A to Z in the style similar to "...For Dummies" (yeah.. i think i shall call it "Creating Simutrans Pak for SimuDummies" :P

prissi

2. HALF HEIGHT:
set in the simuconf.tab in your pakset folder (for instance /pak/config/simuconf.tab) the parameter
tile_height = 8
(8 is half height, 12 would be 2/3rd, 16 normal, ... )

1. GROUND PAK:
look at the pak64 at sourceforge, or for half height at the pakTTD folder at sourceforge. There are all files you need (which are textures for lightmaps, slopes, and shore, and ground; then there are water, outside, markers, vertical slopes, vertical slopes under houses, fence, markers and borders). Everything you need is defined in pak64/pakTTD texturegrounds.dat.

0. THere are more object needed to start a game. Especially the menu can be very confusing.

Spartanis

Prissi,

Thank you. This make completely sense.  I never knew these raw files existed on sourceforge! My god im gonna have fun playing around with these! lol

Another question.

Can the Main Menu, and any other sub menu's, be displayed vertically, rather than Horizontally.. or the horizonal display is fixed (Cannot be displayed in any other way)?

prissi

The only way is to make any menu vertically be specifieng a maximum width of 1 tile.

Spartanis

ah.. and this no doubt be found in menuconf file? (Although i cannot see this line in it.. unless one can add to it?)

prissi

It will not work, I think you will end up to have only the most left button usable.

Carl

Quote from: prissi on October 14, 2011, 12:42:03 PM
2. HALF HEIGHT:
set in the simuconf.tab in your pakset folder (for instance /pak/config/simuconf.tab) the parameter
tile_height = 8
(8 is half height, 12 would be 2/3rd, 16 normal, ... )

So does one no longer need to modify the executable in order to make & run half-height paksets? I've seen reference to modifications in older topics -- does the tile_height parameter do this job now?

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.