News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Signals problem.

Started by presler, April 24, 2014, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

presler

I never had a problem with signals in OpenTTD, but Simutrans signals and routing just seems to be way different. Part of my ralway network has looks like this

I have a long track like on the picture between stations A and B with two of these crossings. I is not worth building a standard dual track, because I need only 2 trains running there. I want train to wait at station or crossing only if single track section is occupied, but it just sits in station waiting for the other train to finish the whole journey.
I used simple (red)block signals and station choose signal with yellow(presignal?) at station B. Station A has one way signals.

jamespetts

I am not quite sure how you have your passing loop (which is what I assume that you mean by "crossing" here) configured, but what you need to do is to have uni-directional signals on your passing loop: on the Eastbound track, have a signal at the Eastbound end allowing only Eastbound trains, and on the Westbound track have a signal at the Westbound end allowing only Westbound trains. To create a unidirectional signal in Simutrans, click the tile again with the signal tool after placing it: it will alternate from a bidirectional signal to the two directions of unidirectional signals and back to a bidirectional signal again, depending on the number of times that you click.

Welcome to the forums, incidentally!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

In Simutrans, remove the passing loop at the one terminal station. The other terminal station only needs one rail, letting both trains wait will only cost a lot of extra station maintenance (which is usually expensive). Generally Simutrans rather needs smaller stations and a little infrastructure as possible compared to OpenTTD gigantic oversiyed stations and railway lines.

If you really want to use a platform choose signal, you have to use one also for the single platform station. That way the choose signals are ignored when going through them when leaving the stations.

Emil Sawicki

I would do it like in picture below.
Simutrans 123, Windows 10

prissi

Way too many signals. End of choose is not required and does not what you think it does here anyway.

You need four signals: Choose signals at the termini, and each exit of the passing loops with one exit signal (because there are only two trains in this part.)

ӔO

It is possible to do this with two lines and two signals.

Set each line to use different platforms.
Set up single-direction signals at the loop.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Quote from: Emil Sawicki on April 24, 2014, 10:27:22 PM
I would do it like in picture below.

Looks like an attempt to immitate real-life signalling, but signals in Simutrans operate under very different rules (the primary difference is the lack of a global schedule coordinating all trains). Many of the signals are just eye-candy, which have side effects, some quite disrupting, that must be cancelled out with non-intuitive signal usage (such as the misleadingly named pre-signal). You do however still have a potential for deadlocks at the stations that can't be fixed by adding signals.

Vladki

I have a similar track in my game. Use unidirectional signals on all passing loops as suggested before. Then delete all signals on station B and put one unidirectional choose signal on the last loop before station B.

Or if you want to emulate real life signals add end of choose signal on the track between station B and next passing loop to cancel the effect of B's choose signal. That signal is trying to reserve the whole track up to the station A.

Sent using recycled electrons.