News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Schooners never reach 18km/h

Started by killwater, February 14, 2016, 12:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killwater

They cruise at 14-15km/h instead.

DrSuperGood

As a guess it will be due to insufficient power, or inaccurate drag mechanics.

killwater

Well I guess I just need to wait for the wind to pick up a little ;)

jamespetts

I have moved this to the pakset forum, as this is a pakset issue. Do they reach 18km/h empty, or do they always go at 14-15km/h? It is very difficult to balance the "power" of a wind-based vehicle, as it is entirely dependant on wind strength in reality, which is not modelled in Simutrans.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

killwater

Always at 15km/h empty 14-15km/h half full.

jamespetts

It would help me enormously if you could tinker with the "global_power_factor_percent" to see what the minimum percentage increase that will allow the schooner to reach full speed fully laden is.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

killwater

This does not make any difference. I changed the value then saved and reloaded the game. Getting a new vehicle does not change that neither.

jamespetts

Did you alter it in simuconf.tab or in the advanced settings window in-game?

jamespetts

Altering it in simuconf.tab would have no effect on a running game. Does altering global_force_factor_percent in the advanced settings window make any difference?

killwater

Of you mean here than the answer is there is no difference:

jamespetts

Yes, I do mean there. Can I confirm that at 9999 global_power_factor_percent and 9999 global_force_factor_percent, shcooners in open water (not on a way which might have a speed restriction) will travel at no more than 15km/h when loaded, but will travel at 18km/h empty?

killwater

Yes that is correct. However I cannot go over 1000 and they do not go over 15km/h even when empty.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I am not able to reproduce this. Can you tell me exactly what version that you are using and your exact steps to reproduce?

killwater

All my schooners work like that. Doesn't matter what type of cargo or any other properties.

"The Queen" ferry runs at 40km/h so it is ok. Clyde puffer runs at 15km/h as intended.
Clan line ship runs at 18km/h instead of 20. Windjammer runs at 18km/h instead of 20km/h.

As for the version - well I do not know - I complied experimental fresh from the sources yesterday morning.

killwater

Another anomaly 1km/h instead of 20km/h when loaded. See attached screenshot.

jamespetts

Thank you for that; the Clan Line problem I have found and fixed, but the windjammer issue I do not understand, as its maximum speed is set as 18km/h. Are you sure that you are using the latest Github sources for the pakset?

killwater

I compiled it probably a month ago or so. I could try to do it again tomorrow. Another thing I get a max speed of zero in red for handysize bulk goods in the depot. Just buy it and it is red and max speed is zero. I do not know how fast does it go as I can never fill it with 20kt of coal ;)

By the way one could really use a coaster with a smaller hold as well as a general cargo ship with all the holds but bulk, cars and animals.

jamespetts

I have fixed the handysize - thank you for the report. Can you explain the issue with the coaster; why can it not be used with a smaller hold?

killwater

This was general remark as for a long time there is only a Clan Line ship available (with only a single cargo carrying capability and it has a huge hold) until TT European Class freight ferry is introduced in 1975 (about which I did not know at the time of writing this post).  None of them can navigate medium rivers though.

Unfortunately I did not have enough time to make new builds this weekend to retest. I am sorry about that.