News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Can't build bridges

Started by PeteS, December 25, 2014, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteS

I've just downloaded the latest simutrans, and find that in the basic PAK I can build rail bridges, but as soon as I use the pak128.britain, I can't. I've tried all the combinations of track and bridge I can think of. Any ideas?

Thanks

Pete S.

jamespetts

What happens when you try to build a bridge?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

PeteS

I've been experimenting......

In previous versions, if I want to create a bridge across a river, what I do is run the track down the slope on either side, select my bridge and click on the track on the slope. A bridge appears.

In the latest version, the bridge does not appear.

The only way that I can make a bridge appear is to raise the land on either side of the river, and then build as normal and I then get a bridge. Only I've had to raise the bridge abutments to do so. It's easier to delete the river and drop in and out of the river bed with my track than build a bridge. It seems impossible to build a flat bridge.

I've started another game, and I noticed that I had the same issues with roads in a town that needed to cross a river. The software can generate flat bridges when it builds the world, but I can't. Even deleting a generated bridge and trying to rebuild it doesn't work.

I'd include a screen shot, but I don't think that is working as I can't find any picture files with a current date anywhere on my PC.........

It all worked fine before!

Thanks

Pete S.

jamespetts

Have you tried dragging the bridge over the gap after you have put the track on both sides?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

PeteS

Yes, I've tried dragging. See the attached game save for river crossings I can create.

PeteS

OK, I've done lots of playing, with more tries using dragging.

Build track to the edge of the valley, but not down onto the slope.
Repeat for the other side.
We now have two tracks that come to the edge of the valley but not down the slope.
Drag a bridge from slope to slope. That seems to work ok.

I've tested that the game treats it as one piece of track by electrifying the track from one end to the other. Seems good.

This appears to be a change from previous versions of the game

Thanks for your help, dragging was the answer.

Keith

Same problem.  I can build road bridges, but not rail.  They will not build over roads or other rail tracks.  Most annoying.  Even after deleting and downloading the whole program again.

Vladki

Bridge over road, rail, canal or navigable river must be on full height slope. Vehicles cannot pass under half height bridges. It may be dependent on pakset.

prissi

The new introduction of hal ehight slopes without double slope start on an equal ground has some consequences:

First one needs two heightlevel difference.

Second, one needs a bridge that on its empty start tile support two height differences. Road do, tracks do not in pak128.britain, as far as I know.

You can set way_height_clearance=1 in semiconf.tab to enable rail bridge over rivers and roads as before.

PeteS

That makes some sense.

It sounds like a demonstration of the law of unintended consequences.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. :)