News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Bug: server crash upon player shipyard departure

Started by AP, December 17, 2017, 11:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

On the Canterbury server, we've been encountering a troublesome bug that is proving tricky to track down.

When the player purchases one or more new ships at the shipyard,  assigned to a preexisting line, upon Starting the first ship, the server crashes.

The ships have typically been brigs with 3 passenger cabins and  3 steerage holds and 1 mail hold.

Oddly however,  the bug has proved intermittent. Yesterday it did not occur and I found the server playable.  Today it occurred,  and at various times last week it occurred.  Unsure what condition causes it to become possible.

I'm also having difficulty replicating it in an offline scenario.

Though I should report it even without a savegame to demonstrate,  in case others encountered the same issue. Hopefully if that happens we can figure out the root cause.

Ves

Just as a note: I have never experienced this crash that AP has on any of my depots.
For information, I run windows 10.
AP, what about you?

AP

Also Wndows 10. My company name is "imperial lines" in the game.

I had been wondering about why it wasn't affecting you Ves - but I can't see how we're doing much different.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know. It will be fantastically difficult (a long, long way beyond my ability) to find the cause of this without any means of being able to reproduce it reliably.

If anyone can find any reliable means of reproducing this (even if it is "do X N number of times until the error occurs", provided that N is a specific finite number), that would be exceedingly helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Hi James

I just had this occur on the Canterbury server again, which is running Nightly build 13.0#704ca0f . Was that version before or after you rolled out your fix?

Haven't had it occur on Bridgewater this evening.

jamespetts

The Canterbury and Whitstable server is running a pre-fix version.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Good, thank you. I'll ask Asaphxiix to update. :D   Hasn't happened on Bridgewater since.