News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Hi, I am back~ with a simple question!! How to translate?

Started by Jun, April 28, 2011, 09:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jun

Hi, everyone here.
I was too busy for my studies in the last week.
I am starting translating this game to chinese now (from english, i dont know any german.. ;))
of course, compare with exsiting chinese .tab and find what it exactly means in the game.

here is a simple question about translation method..

1. download basetext_en.tab(24.03.2011) and basetext_cn.tab(26.12.2010) from simutranslator.
(I found there were some strings missing in basetext_cn.tab)
So translate the basetext_en.tab into chinese?

OR 2.  In simutranslator, search objects & text;
select set and objects: basetext & all objects;
select languages: Sim. Chinese(cn);
press 'search'.
system will list all texts with translation status. Then I can modified the texts here.

Which way is right?
I think it must be on the second way... Right?

vilvoh

You're right. It's suppose to be an online tool, therefore the sensible way to use it would be option number 2. The first option is available mainly for pakset developers and people who like to have the latest translations without wating for the releases.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

javavall

I want to ask something about the translation process too.
In order to apply the translated text to a specific pak so that i can test its looks etc, do i need to recompile simutrans or there is a config/make file that i can run?

(By the way, the Greek font used in the translation is ugly and kinda small.
I hope that we can do something about that, because its hard and stressful to read it)

prissi

Just put the greek translation file after download to either simutrans/text (for base text) or into pak/text/ for paks. You can either restart simutrans or just change the language once to en and back to greek.

About the font: Any opensource or freeware BDF font will do it. I will happily include it onto the program. Or modify the existing font using fontforge. I cannot really comment, as I cannot read much greek.

Nicole_Chen

Hi Jun! I'm from China too. I'll appreciate a peer review of my Simplified Chinese translations, the first of which is at "Help files" -> simutrans.txt
As I had told Jonas, I'm 100% proficient in both Simplified Chinese and USA English. Maybe we can learn from each other and help each other. :)

Prissi, regarding text wrap for languages without spaces (eg Chinese, Korean, and Japanese?). Jonas told me you were adding a fix for this. The translation I just did (simutrans.txt for help files) did not wrap, but was instead expanded to fill the whole screen. Worse, the right extreme of the text wasn't visible, I think. I just tried Simutrans v111, but still see this problem. Is it convenient for you to do a quick patch for this? I'll be translating a lot of text to Simplified Chinese in the near future.

I also noticed that Japanese translations physically added <br/> to "simulate text wrap". A tad tedious for me to to do that for Simplified Chinese translations, though. Help? :) Or should I really go the Japanese translation way, because the patch I'm hoping for is too inconvenient? Let me know, thanks.

Oh, 1 last thing. How do I translate the wiki at http://wiki.simutrans-germany.com/ ?

Welcome aboard, Jun!

Dwachs

Prissi, regarding text wrap for languages without spaces (eg Chinese, Korean, and Japanese?). Jonas told me you were adding a fix for this. The translation I just did (simutrans.txt for help files) did not wrap, but was instead expanded to fill the whole screen. Worse, the right extreme of the text wasn't visible, I think.
Could the text be wrap after every letter/sign ? This could be easily implemented.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

The </br> won't work for normal text.

And indeed after each unicode charactr in the CJK range on could break. In would be better not the break before kanas in japanese, but I do not see a way how to achieve that.

CJK letter would be also fixed space, so line rbeaking is very easy there ...

Nicole_Chen

Quote from: prissi on November 06, 2011, 10:18:31 PMThe </br> won't work for normal text.
So it will only work for CJK text? For normal text, Simutrans strips away the </br>?

Quote from: prissi on November 06, 2011, 10:18:31 PMAnd indeed after each unicode charactr in the CJK range on could break. In would be better not the break before kanas in japanese, but I do not see a way how to achieve that.
No way to physically know where Japanese words end, except semantically. Getting Simutrans to understand Japanese words will be extraneously difficult.

Quote from: prissi on November 06, 2011, 10:18:31 PMCJK letter would be also fixed space, so line rbeaking is very easy there ...
Yes, getting the lines to break on a "fixed number of characters" will work just fine in Chinese. We don't mind if Chinese phrases are spread over 2 lines (broken by line break); we get that all the time (words like sunrise, factory, residence, train, etc). Similarly for Japanese, I believe, Simutrans won't need to ensure words don't get broken up by line breaks.

Here is an example of a typical news article breaking up Chinese "words" (really they are words, not phrases).
Paragraph 2, Line 3: 大奖赛 means "Grand Prix" or "Grand Tournament"
Paragraph 3, Line 1: 问题 means "problem"
Paragraph 3, Line 2: 支撑 means "shore up" or "sustain"
Paragraph 3, Line 3: 弥补 means "compensate"
Paragraph 3, Line 5: 准备 means "preparation"
... and you get the picture. :)
We get Chinese "words" broken up by line breaks all the time.

So, when can we see this patch? :)

Meantime, I'll go ahead to translate Simutrans text. Anybody knows how I can translate the wiki? That'll help lots and lots of Chinese flock to Simutrans. Seems English is the most complete translation (58 help files for German's 60). I'm sure I can do a perfect and complete translation from English to Chinese.

And to show you how serious I am, assess me via China's most used dictionary at You Dao. :) Words like 弥补 doesn't translate to "compensate for". Just so you know I'm not basing my English-Chinese translations off of any free tools or anyone in China. :) But seriously, I'm willing to take charge of (and be responsible for) the English-Chinese translations in Simutrans. My English is from USA and my Chinese is from China.

Between Jun and I, we should be able to provide a peer-reviewed and solid translation job for Simutrans.

Please trust me. Chinese words can be broken up by line breaks.

Help me. Thanks. :)

prissi

The
 tag will never work, only in help files. For buildings, every but "\n\n" is stripped. For help file only very simple HTML syntax is used.

The breaking of text for buildings is already in the nightlies. It worked for me there.

(You know, I made the first japanese translation [it was bad, of course] so I know were words ought to be broken.)

Nicole_Chen

Quote from: prissi on November 07, 2011, 09:11:43 AMThe
 tag will never work, only in help files. For buildings, every but "\n\n" is stripped. For help file only very simple HTML syntax is used.
Oh, good to know the formatting rules for buildings' texts. Thanks!

Quote from: prissi on November 07, 2011, 09:11:43 AMThe breaking of text for buildings is already in the nightlies. It worked for me there.
How about for help files?

And how do I translate the wiki?

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

An_dz

Quote from: Nicole_Chen on November 08, 2011, 04:43:02 AM
And how do I translate the wiki?

Sorry, but you can't for now. After some bugs with the new version of the wiki Frank rolled it back to, at least, keep the wiki up.
When the wiki gets back then register on it and you'll see the registered users page, there you'll find info for translating and creating pages.

Nicole_Chen

Hi Prissi. So, do I continue to manually line-break my translation of the help files?

prissi

Manual breaks should be not needed for buildings any more and most other graphics must not contain breaks.

The only execption are attractions which needs "name\n\nRest of description". ANd of course error messages and the like can use breaks. Buildings in latest exe should use CJK breaks.

FOr factory_xxx_detail and help files of course HTML like breaks are needed.

javavall

If we translate whole packs, how can we upload the .tab file? For example i would like to update the 128pak(gr.tab).

prissi

Just post it in the relevant pak and some maintainer will upload it. Unfourtunately uploading is not straight forward with many languages.