News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[r7373] Elevated ways on one-level-deep lake

Started by gauthier, November 22, 2014, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Simutrans 120.0.1, with pak128 2.5.2

Impossible to build elevated ways on one-level-deep lakes but ont its northern and western edges. It is still possible to build elevated ways on one-level-deep sea.

Ters

A side effect of what is considered the height of slopes perhaps? That would make sense if the height of the north-western corner is considered, which is the most natural of the four corners.

prissi

The reason is that most of such a lake has a depth of 1 or higher only near the corner. If the lake would have regular side slopes (i.e. lower it once), then it would have much more of shallow water. This is a side effect of flat shores. I see no easy way out here.

Ters

Quote from: prissi on November 27, 2014, 10:57:06 PM
The reason is that most of such a lake has a depth of 1 or higher only near the corner. If the lake would have regular side slopes (i.e. lower it once), then it would have much more of shallow water. This is a side effect of flat shores. I see no easy way out here.

I don't quite follow. Wouldn't this lake be one tile deep in the middle, surrounded by slopes up to the surface?

prissi

If you sink the water level of a lake so it has sloped shores, then there is lot of flat area around. But currently lakes are flooded until a slope. That means any tile one from the beach is already a deep tile. Drain a lake (with control) and see what I mean.

Ters

If you can (or are supposed to be allowed to) build elevated roads over one level deep water, that might lead to odd results if the lake is drained afterwards.

gauthier

Quote from: prissi on November 28, 2014, 10:03:21 PM
If you sink the water level of a lake so it has sloped shores, then there is lot of flat area around. But currently lakes are flooded until a slope. That means any tile one from the beach is already a deep tile. Drain a lake (with control) and see what I mean.
It's the same for seas, but we can build elevated stuff on 1-level deep seas :/