News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Time Cycle - Categorizing Passenger Types

Started by colonyan, July 04, 2012, 03:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

Anyone played The Tower (Sim Tower)?
If I remember correctly, there was 2 normal work days and 1 holiday where no office workers come to the building.
Instead, commercial customers increase. Residents does moves around as usually.
Office workers traffic created most traffic. If office worker stayed inside building waiting for the elevator after certain hour, like 12 midnight, they would automatically
disappears and leaves negative assessment for the buildings. Poor elevator management could read to bad result.

I was imagining applying this context to the Simutrans. Lets have a very simplistic example.
One day cycle must be long enough. Like 15 minutes or so. Like a complete year.
Suppose January is 0 AM and June is 12 PM lunch hour. Then December is around 11PM.

Numbers will be very unintuitive but this is for simple supposing thought outs.
Only commuter passengers exist.
They appears all the same time at 12:30AM[midnight]. They (at steady pace) continuously fills stops and stations until all commuters have entered the station.
They need to get to work before 11:30[almost lunch hour]AM.
They will attempt to get workplace until 11:55AM. Leaving negative evaluation.
If not, after 11:55AM, they will just disappear, leaving severe negative evaluation.

They will start leaving the work place all at same time at 12:00PM[lunch time]. They (at steady pace) continuously fills stops and stations until all commuters have entered the station.
They need to get to home before 11:00PM[late at night].
They will attempt to get home until 11:25PM, leaving negative evaluation.
If not, after 11:25PM, they will just disappear, leaving severe negative evaluation.

A. Long distance commuters will be arriving stations early.
B. By making whole day commuting hour, it allows much time to operate for the player.
B1. Make time variation groups for each route. Assign vehicles into different time group.
      Example.
       a. Default All day 24h.
       b. Go back to nearest depot or designated depot during less busy hours. ("Late" morning hour)("Late" night hour)
B2. More use for depots!
B3. Strategical placement of them!
C. How to decide the pace at which commuters fills the stations?
D. How would other type of passengers will move around?
E. How much computing resource this will take?
F. How about different types of cargo?
G. Lets suppose everyone goes to random workplace and goes back to random home so
    game does not need to track down all passengers or even the group of passengers!
H. Will there be holidays? Are there going to be some people still working on these days?
I. Most people could go enjoy visiting others house or attractions.
J. Will there be vacation season?

List could be go on.
I will try add more later if I have time.
Any other thoughts, I would like to see them to be shared.