News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

SRGC: Winter Station Extensions

Started by sdog, December 08, 2011, 06:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

The third round of the Simutrans Regular Graphics Contest has started. The topic are station extension buildings for passengers, in winter.

All submitted content must have winter (and summer) versions, the jury will base their vote mostly on the winter version. This has two reasons, firstly some xmas holiday compatible contest was requested, and secondly winter tiles often are a bit neglected as they are tedious. Here we also want to see your creativity with the snow or ice while staying compatible with the summer version.

The requested buildings are any extension building you would find at a station (train, or similar mode of transport, not airports) that starts at station buildings, continues to post offices, hotels, car-parks, parks, squares, bicycle racks or combinations of those. E.g. a ticket vending machine, a shed and bicycle racks.

Please feel free to discuss all details in the forum thread. It is always a good idea to roughly introduce your plan. If it is exotic or at the fringe of what is requested i shall be happy to clarify it for you. We always encourage players who haven't tried yet, to use the contest as a chance to get into creating new graphics for the game. If you run into trouble, the community will certainly help you to get a working release.

Only open source content with a license compatbile to the pak-set it is made for can be submitted. The sources and a working pak-file should be submitted to the international simutrans forum. For the public vote a screenshot 300x200 px max, of your building should also be submitted. It should contain, besides your building, only the most necessary, eg some tracks, streets and platforms.

The contest ends with the last second of 29 February 2012 (UTC). A jury vote and a public vote are to follow in march. The jury president is yet to be decided upon, and will be announced in the forum.

VS

Two questions:
1) So, nothing to do with freight, only passenger-related infrastructure?
2) Can things be based on existing stuff? (consistency matters etc.)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

ӔO

how about things like subway entrances or the above ground portion of subway stations?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

sdog

@VS: 1. yes, only passenger, no freight
2. in principle yes, the jury and public will not appreciate if there is not much own content. eg. adding a (new) winter image to an existing object might not be enough.

@AEO yes, that'd be perfectly fine.

sdog

bumping this, as a reminder: There is one more month to finish your station extensions.

Any work in progress posted here is very much welcome!

mEGa

We don't forget... ;) But I am a little late... Soon the first drawings... Promises :-[
Current projects in progress : improvements of few designed french paks

mEGa

To open the soft graphic  battle ;-) :

my draw of future proposition : extended_station freely inspired by station set of city of Dijon (burgundy France). It will be set up on 2x2 tiles with few buildings and special spaces :

- restroom (fast food)
- few shops
- car rental
- bikes park...

here an first sktech :

sdog

2012 is a leap year! 22 days until the deadline of this SRGC

on another note, i shall fly home to europe for two weeks on the day after the contest is over. I should be more than thankful if someone else would take over finishing this, assembling the jury headed by the previous winner and announcing the next contest.

sdog

the former i know rather well. The second one i'd very much like to see in reality (especially as some good friends of mine are from there.)

I'm looking forward on your take on any of those!

ps.: Eglinton station might also be an interesting one to simutransify, it's many cubes should come out nicely.

mEGa, quite a good sketch, could almost go directly into pak HD :-P

there are also some traps to avoid when creating rotations for stations, perhaps someone with experience creating stations could remind us?

mEGa

sdog

a bump on my previous message here, as noone responded:
Quote from: sdog on February 08, 2012, 12:03:37 AM
on another note, i shall fly home to europe for two weeks on the day after the contest is over. I should be more than thankful if someone else would take over finishing this, assembling the jury headed by the previous winner and announcing the next contest.

mEGa

Hi community,
I present you my proposition : Hall Extended Station.
It is freely inspired by Hub Station of the the city of Dijon (Burgundy - France)

Design :
4 drawings of several cardinal points and obviously winter and summer representation.

You can see few buildings making a transport hub :
- pedestrians hall
- fast food
- travel shop and others commercial places
- car rent agency
- taxi stop
but also park of cars and bikes

Technical :
Obj=building
Name=hall_extended_station
Type=extension
intro_year=1950
intro_month=1
waytype=track
Copyright=mEGa
enables_pax=1
enables_post=1
level=6

Several snapshots :

Here the full resource (dat + png + sources) :
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=fr:hall_extended_station.zip

Here details :
http://www.simutrans-france.fr.nf/doku.php?id=en:hall_extended_station_mega

sdog

mEGa, thank you very much for submitting this first, wonderful, entry to this round of SRGC!

A reminder, there's a bit less than two days left for your contributions.

Fabio

grampybear

very nice.... I will add it to my game at once

VS

Hello! A reminder - this is the last day :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

VS

The deadline is well past (almost 10 hours), so the submission period is over!

Now we'll have to wait until sdog returns :)

sdog

This round goes to mEGa, who also won the first competition, with noone daring to challenge his building.

Milko

Hello

Even in the absence of competition is well-deserved victory, the station is beautiful! Congratulations.

Giuseppe

mEGa

Hello,
Thank you  nevertheless for your trust.
I am a little disappointed that nobody is tried to also contribute but I'm very glad to offer this pak to the community.

sdog

do you think the challenges are a bit too high, and too difficult for many others?

on the other hand, a very minimalist contribution, like a few benches and a parking space or similar would have sufficed too. I don't think the people here are so competitive that they wouldn't join a contest if they fear not to win.

now, congratulations to mEGa, the building is truly excellent.

mEGa

Quote from: sdog on March 06, 2012, 08:40:49 PM
do you think the challenges are a bit too high, and too difficult for many others?

For me, the main difficulty was to create others faces (N, E, W) because I draw in 2D. I have been realize at first only sight (South) for competition (a backup proposition)...
One of the additional difficulties (consumer of time) is to create at least 2 sights (summer and winter), isn't it ?
Maybe can cut the prices in several branches :
- pak complete (summer, winter) as senior branch
- pak simple (summer) as junior branch
- a jury's special price... as promising branch
But to do it many more creators have to contribute... Of Course ;)

Finally show a sketch or few phases in progress is not a good idea ?

Fabio

I had an idea and thought of participating, but I was too caught up in my ongoing projects to devote the necessary time such a project would deserve.

Anyway congratulations mEGa, my fellow 2D painter, excellent building!
What software do you use?

mEGa

Hi,
Thanks at all.
I use Inkscape drawing the initial elements and after I import separately element in gimp for final touch. Layers are my main tool to several faces and objects of the pak.
I must write a french tuto about it but, as many people of the community I think, I haven't enough time at this moment .

VS

The award-winning waiting hall has been included as of r824 :) Thank you!