News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Stuck in initialising map

Started by accord2, January 29, 2017, 07:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

I can create small maps but not a 3000x3000 map. How can I fix it?
In older versions I can play in an UK 3000x3000 height-map, but in this version I can't even generate a map.
Simutrans experimental 120.1.2 Britain pak 12.9000 r-0
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

jamespetts

Sorry that you are having trouble. Sometimes, generating very large maps can take a very long time (as in hours), especially if the number of rivers in the climate settings is very high. May I suggest trying with a smaller number of rivers (e.g. 256 rather than 1024)?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

accord2

Thanks, it works now. I had to set rivers to 0.
But towns have an absurd population of 1 million, 2 millions, 20 millions. Is this normal? They are small and in the settings I wrote 100 in population per town.

jamespetts

What proportion of towns have populations of millions? If you set the number of big towns to zero, the town generation will distribute populations according to Zipf's law, which might mean a few very large towns if you have a great number of towns.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

accord2

Something like 1/3 has millions and 2/3 has 60 for a map with 305 towns and I think the habitant per town in the generating settings was 100.

Spenk009

I appear to have the same issue.

Running:
Makeobj-experimental_170125_f49e8a1.exe   from 2017-01-25 19:57 (from server.exp)
Simutrans-Experimental_170125_f49e8a1.exe   2017-01-25 19:57 (from server.exp)
pak128.britain-ex-nightly.tar.gz   2017-01-30 05:09 (from bridgewater-brunel)

Here are screenshots of the map immediately after initialisation:

freshly loaded

map settings for this result

I believe the building population may be the cause as it is slightly higher than usual. This happens with this specific pakset. Using a copy that was "most recent" as of 22.11.16 does not have this problem.

jamespetts

I think that I have managed to fix this. Would you be able to re-test to be sure? Thank you for the report.

accord2

Quote from: jamespetts on January 30, 2017, 10:42:07 PM
I think that I have managed to fix this. Would you be able to re-test to be sure? Thank you for the report.
What should I do? I am not with technology  :-[ Thanks :)

jamespetts

When the executables are updated (nightly automatically for Linux, periodically manually for Windows), you should download the latest development builds and see whether this solves the problem that you reported.

Spenk009

Running:

pak128.britain-ex-nightly.tar.gz   2017-01-31 05:07    79M   

Which is the same as previously, but updated pakset from this morning.

I have detected no change.

However I've noticed that the stop values (price, maintenance, etc.) are a multitude of their intended values. In terms of all selectable in the tooltip menus all are affected but: track (all ways), signals, depots and anything in the Special Construction Tools.
Another find is that all population values are equal regardless of the building level. I've found a building that has 0 instead of 65024.

Hope this helps. You wrote a lengthy post on your own introduction to blender, which I've followed and am looking to create content for the pakset. Could you point me in the direction of more of the city building blends?

jamespetts

Spenk - the fix is in the code rather than the pakset, so if you have only updated the pakset, you will not see the fix. Can you confirm that you have an executable with a build date and time postdating my statement on the forum that I thought that I had fixed the problem?

accord2

I still don't understand what to do. I installed everything again from here http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15887.0 and from here http://server.exp.simutrans.com/Devel-new-builds/ but I still have the same problem as the other user. I don't know what I am doing wrong :(

jamespetts

I do not know whether the executables have been updated since the fix; what is the file's creation date?

accord2

Quote from: jamespetts on January 31, 2017, 09:27:01 PM
I do not know whether the executables have been updated since the fix; what is the file's creation date?
Sorry for not understanding, but the executables are the ones from Devel-new-builds?
Quote[ ]   Simutrans-Experimental_170125_f49e8a1.exe   2017-01-25 19:57    3.0M   
[ ]   Makeobj-experimental_170125_f49e8a1.exe   2017-01-25 19:57    251K
Simutrans-Experimental Devel-new.zip 2017-01-16 22:07

and the pakset from
Quote[ ]   pak128.britain-ex-nightly.tar.gz   2017-01-31
I download them all today, but I still don't know what to use.

Ves

Im sorry, I have been slow on updating those lately, there should be a new fresh one up now! :)

jamespetts

Excellent - Accord2, can you try the new builds now?

accord2

Quote from: jamespetts on January 31, 2017, 10:42:28 PM
Excellent - Accord2, can you try the new builds now?
It's fixed. Thank you :)

Spenk009

Sorry I'm a bit late in replying. I compiled my own version and that crashed on loading the broken pakset (but not the other, older version I had suggested). Glad to see it has been resolved.