News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Player change icons/tools

Started by VS, April 14, 2011, 02:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Currently, pak128 special constructions toolbar has the "big blue P+" icon which switches to next available player. Compared to what the player list can do, it's rather useless. Should the button be changed to show the list instead? Or anything else?

The poll runs for 48 hours.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Erik

I'm using it never for going to the next player.
Opening the player list should be better, I think.

uci

When switching often between human and public player the button is quite usefull.
Why should we depart from pak64 version?

Djohaal

I really like the current vesion because it's so handy when I do something stupid (like demolish a river tile). Shift + P and I'm in public service and back.

Could we remove the button and keep the keyboard shortcut?

VS

Quote from: uci on April 14, 2011, 05:15:23 PM
When switching often between human and public player the button is quite usefull.
Why should we depart from pak64 version?
Yes, but that works well only in local games with one (human) player. I don't know if this is an issue and to what degree.

Quote from: Djohaal on April 14, 2011, 06:37:31 PM
Could we remove the button and keep the keyboard shortcut?
That's definitely possible - I forgot to mention that keyboard shortcuts are mostly independent on having the icons visible. The dialog is currently mapped to "k", without icon.

I won't pretend that I am the target audience of this poll, so vote as you see fit, really. For me, the button is ugly because it works in a half-broken way. But I don't use it!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Václav

I think that blue big P+ is quitely strange - if player doesn't know what it means, then it can mean very much else things - but not switching of players. So I say that this icon should be changed - but currently I have not any idea how.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Combuijs

I really use that icon a lot, but then I have never played in a network game yet.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

ӔO

I vote for a function change.
The current way just cycles through the players in use, but it is not very indicative of which player you are currently playing as.

maybe the new icon could be similar to the attachment?
something much better drawn, than what I did there, obviously.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Fabio

I voted for two buttons, but as an afterthought, list button + "P" shortcut could definitely worth it.
The list should have an appropriate icon too, and be put in the main toolbar, not in special construction.

VS

The main toolbar is hopelessly overloaded ::( Not an issue for some of us with 24" monitors, but...

uci

Quote from: VS on April 16, 2011, 11:14:38 AM
The main toolbar is hopelessly overloaded ::( Not an issue for some of us with 24" monitors, but...
A submenu button (like in pak96comic) can be added to the main toolbar. It can give access to a new toolbar where all "secondary" tools can be collected.

VS

Yes. But I'd like to see this coordinated across paksets to have the ui somewhat consistent...?

uci

Since Simutrans will probably expand in the future with more functions, such an approach could be considered.

VS

Since the voting results are somewhat indecisive, I've let it be both buttons for now... in rev. 1300