News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

2015-03-06 to 2015-03-07

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, March 07, 2015, 08:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

History: http://blog.iweb.com/en/2015/03/incident-power-distribution-iweb-ne-data-center-2/14540.html

Summary: Unknown specific cause, but power equipment outage lasting approximately 16-18ish hours, from Friday afternoon (Central US time) through Saturday morning.

Additional downtime for the forum because I'd been up straight for 3-4 days with around 6 total hours of sleep, so while I was awake all throughout the incident, I finally couldn't stay awake any longer and was asleep for a bit, and there was a problem with the forum database, so the total forum downtime was closer to 22-23 hours.

This level of outage at iWeb is unprecedented, so while I like everyone is not happy with the outage, I do not think it's cause to look away from iWeb. They've given a decade of good service.

TurfIt

Start: March 06, 2015 3:35pm EST
Estimated time of resolution: TBD

We are currently investigating a situation that might affect a segment of our electrical alimentation infrastructure on data center iWeb-NE data center.

Uhhh what? electrical alimentation infrastructure?  I thinks they needs mooore engineers... less artsy types.

Ters

When googling "alimentation", I got pictures of fruit. So are they powering their servers using lemon batteries? Power outage due to bad harvest?

Isaac Eiland-Hall

They are in Montreal, after all. French is, for most of them, their first language.

I have some experience in determining meaning from Simutrans. :) So in this case, I know that "electrical alimentation infrastructure" is basically going to mean backup power systems, i.e. UPS and switching and stuff like that.

Ters

So someone had forgotten to replace the lemons in their UPS-batteries with fresh ones? ;D

Lmallet

If they are running GladOS, they are potato-powered.  :)

DrSuperGood

Still beats the reliability that BT (British Telecommunications plc, an ISP) offers for households where I have had outages for several days.