News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Trains not filling up

Started by TungstenX, December 01, 2015, 05:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TungstenX

I have a train with 4 carts, this can be goods or passengers.  The train station is a max capacity but the train only takes a few crates or passengers at a time.  Do I need more than one station?  Is there a problem with the train?

Ubuntu 14.04, Simutrans version 111.3.1.  Pak version:

#                Simutrans Scenario Specific Translation File                  #
#                           Scenario: pak128.britain                           #
#                             Language: en English                             #
#                             Encoding: ISO-8859-1                             #
#                            Font : Prop-Latin1.bdf                            #
#                           Date Created: 30.10 2011                           #
Xuǝʇsƃun┴

DrSuperGood

That version is very old so no longer supported? Please upgrade to 120.1.1 as many new features have been added and bugs fixed. Downloads are available here.

What you describe sounds like the stop is not long enough for the convoy. When the convoy is longer than the stop then only part of its cargo can be loaded or unloaded. Under convoy details you can see how many tiles long it is. The stop platform the convoy is sent to must be at least that many tiles long for all the convoy's cargo space to be used.

This behaviour is very different from OpenTTD where a loading time penalty was applied instead meaning that even a 1 tile long stop could service any length of train when given enough time.

TungstenX

Thank you for the quick response.  I will manually upgrade.  I've installed it from Ubuntu's Software Centre.   Should the train stop at every tile or just the last one? E.g.

A     B
[X]   [X]
[X]   [ ]
[X]   [ ]

(Direction is from South to North)
Is a pass though better than a dead-end station?
Note: I've tried to upgrade but I'm having problems same as http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=5990.0 with no joy
Xuǝʇsƃun┴

DrSuperGood

Where it stops does not matter, as long as it is all one continuous length of stop.

There is no clear winner between dead-end and through stations. Through stations are often less efficient as convoys have to move more to get around, where as dead-end terminals can be pretty much point-to-point. They both have the same throughput with the choose signal being the limiting factor although terminals do need some complex way design to allow trains to both enter and leave at the same time without blocking.

Your upgrade problem I cannot help with as I use Windows where upgrading is as simple as building or extracting a new executable.

TungstenX

Thank you for the response.  It helped a lot!
Xuǝʇsƃun┴

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 01, 2015, 04:30:55 PM
Your upgrade problem I cannot help with as I use Windows where upgrading is as simple as building or extracting a new executable.

That's true on Linux as well. However, that's not simple on either OS if you don't know a bit more than the average computer user and has installed Simutrans according to OS guidelines.