News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

how do I get the market to have employees?

Started by asaphxiix, December 07, 2017, 11:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asaphxiix

I did put a line next to it with coverage and all... and there's a line for vegetables incoming. But no employees and no shoppers... How do I get the market to start working, then?

jamespetts

Passengers need to be able to get to the market within their journey time tolerance. It is not clear from your description whether the issue is that there are no goods for the market to sell (in which case, staff will be laid off until goods become available) or that there are no staff (in which case, visiting passengers will not be able to visit the market). You might find assistance in the passenger destinations display in the minimap - look for the colours of passengers who try and fail to reach the market from nearby towns: dark red means that there is something wrong with the market itself (e.g., no goods, or, so far as visiting passengers are concerned, not enough staff); pink means that the journey time to the market is too high and orange means that there is no route.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

zook2

BTW, is there a way to zoom in on the minimaps? Because for larger maps, it's pretty useless without a zoom - you can't see any dots.

DrSuperGood

QuoteBTW, is there a way to zoom in on the minimaps? Because for larger maps, it's pretty useless without a zoom - you can't see any dots.
Same as standard. Either alter the zoom ratio or use the middle mouse wheel while minimap is selected and hovering over it.

Ves

Quote from: zook2 on December 08, 2017, 12:04:20 AM
BTW, is there a way to zoom in on the minimaps? Because for larger maps, it's pretty useless without a zoom - you can't see any dots.
Open the "Map" window, press "passenger destinations" and then open the info window of the town you wish to see whose residents wants to travel, and you can zoom in very close.

zook2

Quote from: Ves on December 08, 2017, 12:09:18 AM
Open the "Map" window, press "passenger destinations" and then open the info window of the town you wish to see whose residents wants to travel, and you can zoom in very close.

I see now; that is useful. But I can't use the City Info window minimaps for that, because I can't zoom in on *them*. Right?

jamespetts

Quote from: zook2 on December 08, 2017, 12:35:01 AM
I see now; that is useful. But I can't use the City Info window minimaps for that, because I can't zoom in on *them*. Right?

Yes, indeed - those are not zoomable. You need to select the town hall of the town whose passengers' destinations that you want to monitor, and then look at those destinations in the general minimap.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

asaphxiix

Quote from: jamespetts on December 07, 2017, 11:57:18 PM
Passengers need to be able to get to the market within their journey time tolerance. It is not clear from your description whether the issue is that there are no goods for the market to sell (in which case, staff will be laid off until goods become available) or that there are no staff (in which case, visiting passengers will not be able to visit the market). You might find assistance in the passenger destinations display in the minimap - look for the colours of passengers who try and fail to reach the market from nearby towns: dark red means that there is something wrong with the market itself (e.g., no goods, or, so far as visiting passengers are concerned, not enough staff); pink means that the journey time to the market is too high and orange means that there is no route.

I didn't realize you could use this feature for businesses as well. Can you indeed? I can only make this feature work for towns.

I did mistake the cargo type for the line bringing vegetables. So I hope that settles it.

jamespetts

Quote from: asaphxiix on December 08, 2017, 03:15:33 AM
I didn't realize you could use this feature for businesses as well. Can you indeed? I can only make this feature work for towns.

In one sense, one can only use it with towns, as the passenger destinations feature will only show the destination of passengers originating from one specific town at any one time. However, one can use the feature in that form to diagnose issues with industry by selecting nearby towns and seeing what status colours that passengers' attempted trips to that industry show, as described in my previous post.

QuoteI did mistake the cargo type for the line bringing vegetables. So I hope that settles it.

That would indeed be a potential cause - you would see the dark red status colour in the passenger destinations display on the minimap for this sort of issue.