News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

underground buildings

Started by jameskuyper, August 17, 2017, 02:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jameskuyper

In real life, in any sufficiently high-density city, many things that normally can be found only at the surface can also be found underground. I know, in particular, that I've seen commercial centers underground, clustered around a subway stop. Also, there's a number of tourist attractions that are entirely underground, including caverns and catacombs Could something like this be simulated in simutrans as it is currently designed, just by defining the right pakset objects? What precisely are the limits on the use of allow_underground? Would it require changes to the game? In game terms, these would serve primarily as obstacles to the spreading of tunnels.

However, that's just the realism part of my question. The actual origin of my question was a science fictional context. I used to play a game called Outpost, which was interesting but seriously flawed. It allowed you to build an extraterrestrial colony. Most of the  colony was underground. That led me to wonder if it would be possible to use a specially-designed simutrans pakset to simulate the same concept.

Ters

You would at least have to build it all yourself, because map generation only generates the surface and city "AI" most likely only thinks two-dimensionally. Some of your ideas seem to overlap with the previously discussed "oddity" that mines do not extent underground.