News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

City info: leaflets and walking?

Started by Spacethingy, December 19, 2015, 07:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacethingy

"Leaflets" is something that seems to have just appeared in the nightlies in each city's info box. What is that statistic showing? It's not in the help files.

Also, while I'm here, could somebody explain the "walking/walked" statistics that appear in cities and stops?

Cheers!  :D
Life is like a Simutrans transformer:

You only get one of them, and you can't have it on a slope.

Spacethingy

Well, I've searched through the code for "leaflet" and not come up with anything. Perhaps I'm just searching wrong. The value never seems to go above 0, although one large city went up to 1 for a month.

Any coder know what this new thing is?

Vladki

I'm also eager to know. I'm not sure, but walked should be passengers who had their origin and destination within coverage of the same stop. Perhaps leaflets is the same for mail?

prissi

Yes, these should be mail with origin and destination the local catchement area of the station. Better short translations are welcome though.

jamespetts

Would "hand delivered mail" be too long?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

Probably, but at least it won't become longer in German.

Looking at the bigger picture, I wonder if mail should behave like passengers in this regard. It is not completely unrealistic for mail to pass through the postal service when sent between two parties within walking distance of a post box. Simutrans lacks the post office concept central to this, though.

Vladki

On the other hand even cargo can "walk" this way.

Ters

Quote from: Vladki on December 24, 2015, 10:41:37 AM
On the other hand even cargo can "walk" this way.

No, cargo works differently. It actually arrives and is picked up at the station, and is therefore part of the normal statistics.

DrSuperGood

Actually it works differently due to how city growth metrics are processed. Consumer inputs that work at least once between city checks count towards growth. If all consumer inputs from all nearby consumers work then 100% growth from industry is achieved. Mail and passenger growth is based on dispatch metrics rather than work done (houses, attractions and industry have no work done on them) so maximum growth from mail and passengers is obtained when 100% make it to their destination ("walking" counts towards this).

The reason walking passengers and mail are counted is because otherwise there will be discrepancies with growth. It is not your fault if a passenger wanted to go to a destination next door within the same stop. This is especially the case if you have massive stops for efficiency (eg 12 long subway stops). I was noticing as much as 5% loss despite no disjoint abuse before this change.

Spacethingy

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 24, 2015, 03:08:44 PMIt is not your fault if a passenger wanted to go to a destination next door within the same stop.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the explanations guys. As a suggestion for a better title, how about "internal mail"? "Leaflets" is very confusing, as it sounds like a different kind of cargo than mail.

prissi

I had "Direct Mail" which was probably changed to leaflets. But hand delivered mail is too long, I would think. Rather "local mail"?