News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Small nitpick: what if instead of "executable" we call it game engine?

Started by IgorEliezer, January 06, 2013, 05:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

Quotenitpick
verb (used without object)
to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.
verb (used with object)
2. to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.

heheh... Not sure if I'm being a bit nitpicker here, well, there we go.

I saw somewhere in this forum someone complaining that not all operating systems have "executables", and it's no sense calling "executable" a file to be run on such OS. I know Windows OS runs "executables". :P

Well, what if we stop calling "Simutrans executable" in our download pages and start calling it "Simutrans game engine"? Something like:

"you need to download the/a game engine compatible with your operating system, and one or more of graphic packages"

"Game engine", as far as I know, is a well-accepted and widely-used term in the gaming world for the stuff that has lines of code in, i.e., the engine that makes the game work.

ӔO

I know it's trivial, but I thought "game engine" was something like Havok physics engine or Steam game engine and not the program itself? ;)

In this case, I think you could call it software, application or program, instead of game engine.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

I think application is the best word. Simutrans is way more than a game engine. What you download is also more than just the executable or program, except for the nightlies.