News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

The on set of Autumn - trees changing colour

Started by Severous, July 22, 2009, 06:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severous

At the start of each month I get many 'overcrowded station' messages.  So I usually pause the game and check that the overcrowding is planned or not.

I caught this image.  It is the onset of fall.  The many trees are changing colour. From Green to Brown.  There is a perfect straight line no doubt caused by the game working through some routine of changing all the trees.  Wonder if that's why at the start of most months pak.German locks me out for a few seconds whilst its busy.

The overcrowding was planned here.  The Beer industry chain created at the game outset was incomplete.  (Boo...no Beer!) No Barley anywhere.  But I transport Hops and stockpile them close to the Brewery at the Winepress.
Regards
Sev.

vilvoh

AFAIK, tree graphics have 4 versions, one for each season of the year (winter, summer, autumn and spring) so I guess that's the reason why they change their appearance. I don't know if the four views are mandatory, but the lock may be due to that, although I guess it depends on the amount of trees that there're are in the map. The more tree density, the more time is needed, although we are talking in milliseconds.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

prissi

Since with large maps the game would freeze several seconds the season change is distributed that each step (roughly every 100ms) a certain number (I think 100000 tiles or so) are processed and in the next step the next 100000 tiles or so. You just happend to hit pause during such step. Season changes are not always linked to months, as they also progress from high to low levels. On high levels the summer is much shorter.