News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Way toll?

Started by jamespetts, September 22, 2011, 09:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Václav

VS, prissi: your discussion about way toll, itself, is surely very interesting ... but it needs better colour for financial dialogue. That dark violet makes black text horribly readable.

May it be you noticed my previous post in topic and only did not give me any answer ... and then, of course, I beg your pardon - but it seems to be that you did not notice my previous post.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

rsdworker

Quote from: VS on September 30, 2011, 06:18:06 PM
prissi - In the main view, you don't have to indicate which players can pass, but if the player with current viewport can. So, two players see two different things.
correct - like my idea which explained very clearly in above post

prissi

Ok, about seeing if the current player can pass - that make a lot of sense.

About the color: I am open to suggestions. Please provide a more unique better visible color form the simutrans cooler range.

rsdworker

Quote from: prissi on September 30, 2011, 09:05:46 PM
Ok, about seeing if the current player can pass - that make a lot of sense.

About the color: I am open to suggestions. Please provide a more unique better visible color form the simutrans cooler range.
the colours should be default as menu and displays are same as player colours

An_dz

A good color? Different from all of them? Try hex: #b4672f

ӔO

wouldn't it be better to group related items the same or similar color?

The way I see it these are similar:

• new vehicles, construction costs and assets, because they're all built by the player and are investments into their network.
  • operation costs and maintenance, because they both cost money, but give no return for their cost.
  • road toll and power lines, because they both rely on something else to generate or cost money
  • cash flow, net wealth and account balance, because they all indicate your total spending power or wealth
  • operational profit and margin, because they are both calculated from the other values

proceeds is just the opposite color of maintenance and operation costs.
trips is not related to anything, so it gets its own color.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Václav

Quote from: An_dz on October 01, 2011, 01:17:32 AM
A good color? Different from all of them? Try hex: #b4672f
That (brown) colour is good.

Else good colours are #abcdef (greyish blue) and #fedcba (light brown).

Fabio

I like AEO's color scheme

rsdworker

An_dz

AEO's color scheme is a good idea, but some colors are too similar. The yellows, blues, reds and the greens won't be easy to see if both are selected in the char. I suggest this color scheme:
It uses the same colors already in the dialog, just some are changed.

jamespetts

Isn't there a possibility that changing the colours will be confusing to seasoned users?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

rsdworker

Quote from: jamespetts on October 01, 2011, 04:11:28 PM
Isn't there a possibility that changing the colours will be confusing to seasoned users?
- its will be not confusing cause they only look at name and company but colours are for livery and touch

An_dz

New Suggestion for the Finance Dialog:
Green -> Income
Red -> Outcome
Cian -> Profit
Orange -> New things / Investments / "Things a company have" (Sorry I can't remember the technical term in English)
Pink -> The 'real' money.
White -> Trips

I also sent the right buttons, one 'button' down and added the This Month for all income and outcome. Specially because it was a dead space and nobody is gonna die if more info for the month is added.
Another option I had was: send Build HQ button above the right column and also add Last Month for those buttons. But it gets too messy. Check pic 2.

rsdworker

Quote from: An_dz on October 03, 2011, 03:41:18 AM
New Suggestion for the Finance Dialog:
Green -> Income
Red -> Outcome
Cian -> Profit
Orange -> New things / Investments / "Things a company have" (Sorry I can't remember the technical term in English)
Pink -> The 'real' money.
White -> Trips

I also sent the right buttons, one 'button' down and added the This Month for all income and outcome. Specially because it was a dead space and nobody is gonna die if more info for the month is added.
Another option I had was: send Build HQ button above the right column and also add Last Month for those buttons. But it gets too messy. Check pic 2.
looks nice - what about toll space?

An_dz

It's there.
2nd button.
It's Green to be grouped with Income.

ӔO

Are road tolls always positive income or do they generate negative income?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Václav

I don't know - I would guess that it is based on many things ... like following: if you will use enemies' roads more than enemies will use your roads, then it will generate negative income.

rsdworker

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on October 03, 2011, 05:35:30 PM
I don't know - I would guess that it is based on many things ... like following: if you will use enemies' roads more than enemies will use your roads, then it will generate negative income.
yep - its like one in OTTD - which player money has to pay other players for use of road

An_dz

Then I suggest just changing the order between Powerlines and Road Tool. The Road tool green is not so green, so it don't look so bad.

prissi

Please check todays colors.

An_dz

I liked the new colors. For those that can't compile Simutrans I've attached a pic showing the new colors with my idea of the new dialog. I haven't compiled Simutrans, I just looked the files in trunk and edited the pic.

But I still think Cian will look better for the profits. 2nd Image shows how it looks.
Here's my new choice:
COL_MAINTENANCE (133) //More Red
COL_OPS_PROFIT (56) //Cian
COL_PROFIT (53) //Cian
COL_CASH (104) //Blue to keep the Cian style
COL_MARGIN (51) //Cian
COL_WEALTH (192) //More brown

arnoud

I think the 2nd is the best.

Václav

... one more comment ... it is also needed to choose such colours which, if they are used on lines of graphs ... are visible - on that a little darker background of graph area.

Fabio

I don't know if possible, but it would be nice if lines with different scale would be displayed in the graph with different scale-- e.g. margin have -100% at bottom and +100% regardless if shown together with operational profit (as it is now, -100 <> +100 variation become a straight line together with several K credits...)

Václav

Fabio, I think that this your request would be used on all graphs - but would you like to read numbers that are tied to side of graphs? - If all lines would end in the same height - or not?

prissi

Back to way toll: A private gate sign came now also into the paks. Unfourtunately it breaks the (few) private road signs that were around. This is the price to pay for much more freedom ...

pak64 has now a railroad gate as example for such signs.

rsdworker

Quote from: prissi on October 05, 2011, 10:45:01 PM
Back to way toll: A private gate sign came now also into the paks. Unfourtunately it breaks the (few) private road signs that were around. This is the price to pay for much more freedom ...

pak64 has now a railroad gate as example for such signs.
- so show example of new tolls

sdog

May i ask what the sign does?

Dwachs

The files ../gui/privatesign_info.* are still missing in svn repository.

@sdog: I think it implements this suggestion earlier in the thread:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=8089.msg76880#msg76880
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

:-[ sorry, wil submit them in the evening.

The sign can open a dialogue, where you can select player who could pass and who could not. THe disallowed ones see a closed gate and the other ones an open gate.

Fabio

Can it also enable/disable private citycars to pass/not to pass?

prissi

Those are enabled by allowing/disallowing publich service, as it cannot run vehicles.

Fabio

isidoro

Very nice!  Thanks.

rsdworker

sounds exellcent idea so any screenshots?