News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Real life default: return to depot improvement opinion

Started by emaxectranspoorte, January 22, 2009, 09:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emaxectranspoorte

For any type of transport and/or vehicle: when pressing the 'return to depot' button, there should be an automatic default, before reaching the depot, in which the vehicle should drop all passengers/mail/perishable goods to any station/stop near a depot. Alternatively there might be a station/stop near a depot.

VS

You can select "load only", let it complete trip, and then send it to depot. But that is a workaround.

It sounds like a good option to have...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Or just the sell when empty button; it saves you even the cost for traveling to the depot.

vilvoh

I support it. We might consider that It should drop all load (of any kind) in the nearest station to the depot that can manage that kind of good. I would say that should be the default behavior, in order to avoid adding a new button to the vehicle window. It's realistic and furthermore it makes sense.

On the other hand, we have to clarify some details. If the vehicle is serving on a line, there's no problem. It searches along the line's stop list and try to find the nearest to the depot that may be the most suitable to drop the load. But what happen if the vehicle is a freelance? You usually have a lot of stops, so the game should check all, then gathers the closest ones, and finally filters them to get the most suitable ones.... :-\....seems quite complex and costly. Any other approach to this issue?

EDIT: You're right prissi, but I think emax request tries to merge those two actions in one. Something like "on the way back to the depot, drop all load somewhere by yourself"

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

emaxectranspoorte

Thank you all for your repsonses. :)

Quote from: prissi on January 22, 2009, 10:32:33 PM
Or just the sell when empty button; it saves you even the cost for traveling to the depot.
Yes, from an efficient in-game perspective...
Quote from: vilvoh on January 22, 2009, 10:37:23 PM
I support it. We might consider that It should drop all load (of any kind) in the nearest station to the depot that can manage that kind of good. I would say that should be the default behavior, in order to avoid adding a new button to the vehicle window. It's realistic and furthermore it makes sense.
EDIT: You're right prissi, but I think emax request tries to merge those two actions in one. Something like "on the way back to the depot, drop all load somewhere by yourself"
Thank you, vilvoh. :)
Quote from: vilvoh on January 22, 2009, 10:37:23 PM
But what happen if the vehicle is a freelance? You usually have a lot of stops, so the game should check all, then gathers the closest ones, and finally filters them to get the most suitable ones.... :-\....seems quite complex and costly. Any other approach to this issue?
Those type of transportation and/or vehicles could drop passengers/mail/pershiable goods to each of the appropriate stations in the vehicles schedule, then drop the rest remaining, at the last remaining station/stop, before the depot (even if it is not in schedule), and after those displaced passengers/mail/goods take more transportation alternatives to get to their original route to travel to their appropriate destinations. IMHO. I may be wrong. :-\

VS

The way I saw it, would be "no load" and "as soon as empty, go to depot". But we are just calling the same thing different names, I guess ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!