News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Station extensions under track?

Started by omikron, February 09, 2012, 01:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omikron

I have a station that is situated above ground level (see screenshot). does there exist any station extensions that would make the dirt-sides below the track more station-like? It could be something like the Berlin Railway station, where the North-South tracks are at level -1 whereas the East-West tracks are at level 4 or so. Can this kind of set-up be organised in simutrans at all?

omikron

VS

Having a road around limits your options somewhat, since you can't build "in the wall", only next to it... And yes, there could be at least one such building around, although I think it needs some love regarding rotations (the images existed, not sure where they are). The whole trick is to have a "fake front" at the back of a tile.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Fabio

"Fake fronts" were available as addons in the Japanese site... you might go and look for them if you're interested.

Sorry, I have no link!

DirrrtyDirk

One Link coming up, sir: http://japanese.simutrans.com/index.php?Addon128%2FRailTools%201 about two thirds down that page, "City Stationblg" by 684k , date 2005/09/18. These are the only fake fronts I'm aware of.

But IIRC they do not have 4 rotations...

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

wlindley

I am willing paint a British equivalent, if someone could suggest some fotos of good stations of the "false fronts" or any of those add-on stations.  Did you notice how the large add-on stations are defined as several different component buildings?  That lets you mix and match, for stations large or small.  I am thinking... perhaps a set of station extensions that will let you build London Victoria, in the different eras?

sdog

The fake front would still look a bit strange with grass on top and stand out in front of the incline.

A better looking alternative would be to build elevated way, and create a regular station extension that fits snuggly into the arches.

AP

Quote from: wlindley on February 09, 2012, 03:08:40 PM
I am willing paint a British equivalent, if someone could suggest some fotos of good stations of the "false fronts" or any of those add-on stations.  Did you notice how the large add-on stations are defined as several different component buildings?  That lets you mix and match, for stations large or small.  I am thinking... perhaps a set of station extensions that will let you build London Victoria, in the different eras?
It would have to be made to go on a road-tile to fit in with the urban scale of pak.gb I think. The pak.japan tiles create a paved forecourt and take a whole tile.

Most of the stations I know on urban viaducts tend to have a building adjacent, as at the former GWR station at Twerton (near Bath). Within the viaduct/embankment there isn't enough width to get up to the platforms. Another reason it should go on a road tile.

Quote from: sdog on February 09, 2012, 04:40:31 PM

A better looking alternative would be to build elevated way, and create a regular station extension that fits snuggly into the arches.
Solid brick arches would also be good to get in game, whether 'inhabited (below) or just solid (as at Twerton).

omikron

Thanks for your comments and ideas, which I quite like. I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a building acting like a tunnel entrance, which is both above and below grond, but unlike tunnel entrances can be built on top of? This would obviously best be placed in sliced underground mode.

But maybe that would require some change to the code? Buildings, on top of which another building/track may exist...

omikron