News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Problems with help text encodings

Started by sanna, April 16, 2009, 03:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanna

I am having some problems with the character encoding of the help texts. So far I have translated only two of them (airtools.txt and depot.txt). Both of them I translated by downloading the English help texts, and using an offline editor, making sure I was using utf-8. I then manually copy-pasted the content into the edit box at SimuTranslator and saved. The help texts show up just fine at SimuTranslator, but when I want to test them in game I am having difficulties.

First of all, I cannot "redownload" them from SimuTranslator. If I try to export the help texts for Swedish I get:
Generated file airtools.txt
Generated file depot.txt
Creating the Package
zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -6 -r -q /tmp/translator/sv_help_files.zip . -i *)

Therefore I resorted to using the text files I originally worked on, created a /usr/share/games/simutrans/text/sv/ directory and copied my two files into and restarted SimuTrans. And the help texts come out mangled char encoding-wise....åäö are corrupted. I would very much appreciate advise on how to proceed before continuing with the remaining help texts.

I attach the two files I have translated.

/Sanna

vilvoh

I've found this quote from the archive (link)
Quote.. Do not save the help file as UTF-8, save it as Latin!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Frank

sorry, I have not time at the moment for this

input in Translator is utf-8

for export the text convert to ISO-8859-1 for sv

http://simutrans-germany.com/translator/data/tab/sv_help_files.zip

sanna

Thank you! That worked like a charm.

Quote from: vilvoh on April 16, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
I've found this quote from the archive (link)