News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

modifying a line to make a new branch off it

Started by boriselperro, October 28, 2012, 11:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boriselperro

I suspect the answer is simple and I will kick myself, but anyway - in the 128 Britain - I have a long railway line with lots of stations, and I want to put in a new branch off that line, to make a new line number, while retaining the original line with its line number, so that the existing trains continue to use the original line, and new trains divert onto the branch.  I am trying to find a way of avoiding having to enter anew all the stations, because it is tedious,  and simply edit the line and then give it a new number. But each time I try it, I end up losing the original line. "Edit line" in line management doesnt do it. I dont know if "new line" would, but it's greyed out (dont know why) and so I cant try.

Thanks in advance for any help, both on the main question and also on the greyed out button point.

Fabio

I do like this:
- Open the line you want to branch
- Open the dialog for one of its vehicles
- Open its schedule dialog
- Press "Promote to line" (or however it's translated)
- Close all these dialogs.
You have a new line exactly like the one you cloned. Now you can rename and edit it as you please.
;)

sdog

i'm not certain, but it might be necessary to add one more step:
(inserted in fabio's quote below)
- Open the line you want to branch
- Open the dialog for one of its vehicles
- Open its schedule dialog
+ make a small change (eg remove a station)
- Press "Promote to line" (or however it's translated)
- Close all these dialogs.

try fabio's first, if you don't see promote to line immediately try the extra step.

boriselperro

Thank you Fabio and sdog. I tried both variants, and as far as I can see, they both work!! Appreciate your help

An_dz

Quote from: boriselperro on October 28, 2012, 11:19:20 PM
I dont know if "new line" would, but it's greyed out (dont know why) and so I cant try.
Click on the tab of one transportation type and New Line will become available.
It can't create a new line if don't even know for what kind of transportation it is for.

Fabio

Quote from: sdog on October 29, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
i'm not certain, but it might be necessary to add one more step:
[...]
With your extra step you promote to line AND assign that very vehicle to the new line.
Without it, you create a clone line, but the vehicle remains assigned to the old one (as far as I got it).

Quote from: An_dz on October 29, 2012, 12:55:26 AM
Click on the tab of one transportation type and New Line will become available.
It can't create a new line if don't even know for what kind of transportation it is for.
True, but this creates an EMPTY line... for cloning there's just my (and sdog's) method.
By the way, a clone button could be useful. ;)

Carl

Yes -- just the other day I found myself wishing for a clone button. However, the "promote to line" option -- which I had forgotten about -- is almost as good in all respects.

Fabio

It's definitely good enough, just totally not intuitive to discover the way to do it ;)