News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

River's server

Started by River, October 02, 2015, 09:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River

A new version of the region senario is out for testing there for the region server has been reset and now requires nightly build version rr7875 that can be downloaded here: http://farm.openttd.org/artifact/SIMU-NIGHTLY/W9X/build-210/Simutrans-Bundle/simuwin-7875.zip

River

a new version of region senario is out. you new require nightly build rr7880. this can be found at www.nightly.simutrans.com

MobileRod

I'm enjoying a lot playing on River's Server over the last months and seasons. It's really addictive - and that's why sometimes I need to stop for a while  ;D

But there's a new player, Patch, who's not acting fair with other players. They build roads and new bus operations in cities which already have players running and will ignore each and every warning, even when we say their constructions and new operations may wreck what has already been established.
I'm usually fair, collaborative, and willing to learn and share expertise with all players, but since they didn't go fair, I'll not be fair with such player as well...

River

Great to hear that  your are having a good time Mobilerod.

I Will take a look at Patch his actions. But he  is allowed to compete with you but not allowed to block or destroy your lines.

I hope to see you in game!

MobileRod

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the fast action as well :)

By the way, they might be able to compete, but not to block others' bus stops, right?

River

Quote from: MobileRod on September 22, 2016, 05:07:04 PM
By the way, they might be able to compete, but not to block others' bus stops, right?
you are not allowed to block stops, remove used roads/rails or even collect goods with the purpose of having the max goods in transit stored without moving them.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: MobileRod on September 22, 2016, 04:06:18 PM

But there's a new player, Patch, who's not acting fair with other players. They build roads and new bus operations in cities which already have players running and will ignore each and every warning, even when we say their constructions and new operations may wreck what has already been established.
I'm usually fair, collaborative, and willing to learn and share expertise with all players, but since they didn't go fair, I'll not be fair with such player as well...

That's why I decided to create the maps divided into regions, always players who do not follow the rules !.

@River
Script: regions-v4.4
- Now allows connections of power lines and rails.

I do not think I can keep playing as I have no internet. :-[

DrSuperGood

I always build massive subway loops under cities I want, independent on if anyone else is already vaguely trying to transport the passengers or mail. The result usually is a massive increase in passenger and mail pickup.

MobileRod

My password seems to have changed  ???

Quote from: DrSuperGood on September 23, 2016, 05:30:04 AM
I always build massive subway loops under cities I want, independent on if anyone else is already vaguely trying to transport the passengers or mail. The result usually is a massive increase in passenger and mail pickup.

That wouldn't be any problem since you don't destroy roads or mess up with existing lines. As River remembered, competition is allowed.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I have merged the double post.

Seems that the server is down...

I am Alphen ingame and want to mention also another problem:
When i pickup goods at the fabrics i usually reserve the last tiles of my road with private road signs because there my trucks will be waiting when no cargo is available. Some players connected their road within this area and sometimes even built a bypass to go around the private road signs which finally provokes a traffic jam or even renders my truck lines useless (when trucks change their route due to the new roads and access the target from the wrong/not indented side and mess up with other waiting lines there).
Please respect other players constructions and don't block or destroy other lines.

Another issue that we have since the beginning are the empty company slots. every day certain players use them to terraform, to build roads over the whole map, to place new cities (i guess we have around 50 cities created by players, 90% created by empty company slots which bankrupted after that single action.)

River

The servers are back online.

Quote from: 5045 on September 26, 2016, 10:29:13 AMAnother issue that we have since the beginning are the empty company slots. every day certain players use them to terraform, to build roads over the whole map, to place new cities (i guess we have around 50 cities created by players, 90% created by empty company slots which bankrupted after that single action.)
This off course is not allowed but its hard to monitor. The only option i see is to lock all slots and people have to request a company slot. This is not full proof but i'm more worried that people find it to much work to join in. I want to keep the server easy accessabel and fun.

DrSuperGood

I am Alphen ingame and want to mention also another problem:
When i pickup goods at the fabrics i usually reserve the last tiles of my road with private road signs because there my trucks will be waiting when no cargo is available. Some players connected their road within this area and sometimes even built a bypass to go around the private road signs which finally provokes a traffic jam or even renders my truck lines useless (when trucks change their route due to the new roads and access the target from the wrong/not indented side and mess up with other waiting lines there).
Use the truck stacking trick. This consists of a through stop followed by a terminal (cannot be tampered with). Place private way sign on through stop to prevent public traffic from breaking it. Order convoys to unload at the terminal and then load at the through stop (if line has same stop listed twice in a row the first will be for unloading and the second for pickup). Up to 64 or some unreasonable number of convoys can wait in a single tile using this trick. Absolutely critical for massive truck lines. Only way other players can tamper with it is if they break or jam the roads used by the line, the stop and stacking itself is completely tamper proof.

Another issue that we have since the beginning are the empty company slots. every day certain players use them to terraform, to build roads over the whole map, to place new cities (i guess we have around 50 cities created by players, 90% created by empty company slots which bankrupted after that single action.)
I plan to fix issues like this if I can ever connect to the master SVN repository. Specifically a setting to limit city creation to the public service provider player only and better finance checks to prevent actions which will cause, or when at negative net wealth. Possibly settings to limit players to controlling 1 company at a time might be worth looking into.

Quote from: DrSuperGood on September 26, 2016, 02:53:38 PM
I plan to fix issues like this if I can ever connect to the master SVN repository. Specifically a setting to limit city creation to the public service provider player only and better finance checks to prevent actions which will cause, or when at negative net wealth. Possibly settings to limit players to controlling 1 company at a time might be worth looking into.
Imho it would be enough to just require that the player who builds a new town really has that money. In our case all this towns which cost 5.000.000 $ were just built with new players that had only 200.000 $ net value. After each city creation - instant bankcrupt.

Another thing that should not be possible are private road barriers on other players bus or cargo road-stops. We had a funny player who put his private road barrier exactly on the busstop of another player which was constructed on a public road. All buses had "no route" after that. That should also be prevented technically ;)

River

Quote from: DrSuperGood on September 26, 2016, 02:53:38 PM
Possibly settings to limit players to controlling 1 company at a time might be worth looking into.
This is tricky as i don't only play with my own company but also with the public player. next to this its nice if you are able to help a friend with there company if they need the help.

DrSuperGood

This is tricky as i don't only play with my own company but also with the public player.
Public player obviously is exempt as it is an "administrator" company.

next to this its nice if you are able to help a friend with there company if they need the help.
What?! Help a company you did not start yourself? This is not OpenTTD, people do not share companies!

One could exempt companies founded by other players (limit is only on starting new companies, not using existing companies). The definition of a player would be an unique IP address, or any other unique identifier one can grab. IP might be a problem for IPv4 when users are on carrier-grade NAT.

Yona-TYT

Regions v4.5 http://www.mediafire.com/file/u1jf50wrufhvyk8/regions-v4.5.zip
Change:

Text labels are now automatically placed.

Yona-TYT

@River
This should fix the problem.

I've improved some things in this version. ;)

River

updated the server but i'm unable to change the game settings with the public player station in the right corner.

when is the next restart planned?

River

Quote from: 5045 on October 15, 2016, 07:21:12 PM
when is the next restart planned?
There is no planed for now. if most people want a restart it is possible.

DrSuperGood

With the non-nightly server now full, would it be possible for people to start sharing companies? I would not mind playing a little bit maintaining somebodies company as I do not have time to run my own.

server is down since 3 hours at least...

MobileRod

Quote from: River on October 15, 2016, 09:05:20 PM
There is no planed for now. if most people want a restart it is possible.

Oh, pleeeeeeeease do it :D

River

Quote from: 5045 on October 19, 2016, 09:52:59 PM
server is down since 3 hours at least...
The server is back up again.

Yona-TYT

This is possibly the last version (if there is not more errors of course) :P 

You must use the r7919, and update all files.

changes:
Solved some bugs with text markers.
Some spelling corrections.

Are you going to update the region game version? 7875 is not longer available at the nightly page...

River

The region server has now been updated to version r7919 and the latest version of region.

DrSuperGood

Regions map is broken. People can build anywhere they like.

River

I know there is a bug in the script, yona has been informed, just waiting for a update

Yona-TYT

You can not be a mistake, this part of of the code I've never touched. :o

Please try a new map to see if the error appears.

River

Quote from: Yona-TYT on October 23, 2016, 12:57:29 PM
Please try a new map to see if the error appears.

This had no effect, i still get the same error

Yona-TYT

Create a new installation of simutrans using r7919 or r7920.

In a new folder.

Can someone test this ?. I do not get any problem.

River

the error is caused by the pause when no one is online setting on the server. If you can fix that it would be great, for now i will run it without