News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Loco Graphics and Rail Vehicle Spacing

Started by RailLord, July 15, 2015, 04:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailLord

Hi there, RailLord here
I've got a few problems with the graphics of the trains. Recently, I noticed that the LMS 2P's locomotive sprites are flipped around for each direction. What I mean by that is the cab is forward and the boiler is against the tender, sort of like the Southern Pacific's AC-12 in real life. This is not only applied in the depots, but it also runs the same way. The LBSCR C2 is also having problems when running a train from the other end. What's happening here I'd that the loco practically disappears in its own tender. And finally, I've noticed bugs with whole trains. With the runaround feature, the alignment of the train is somewhat displaced. Some exceptions occur to this bug, as I'm able to run correctly-spaced trains I'm reverse with tank engines and the LNWR Cauliflower. Other than that, this is a great game! With all the time and effort put into making and improving the game as a whole, and it being the most advanced transport simulator available for free, I'm kinda surprised the game is absolutely free to play! Great job guys! Looking forward for the next update.

jamespetts

Hello! Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your report.

The graphical issues with spacing when trains reverse is well known and I have yet to find any way of solving it, unfortunately. The earlier problems that you describe are not in that category, however. May I ask what version of Simutrans-Experimental and of the pakset that you are using and what steps, from a totally fresh game, are necessary to reproduce this issue?

Thank you.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

RailLord

Shoot, forgot about adding what version I'm using. The current version I'm using for the pak is ex-0.9.1 on 112.3 Experimental 11.35. Plus, I've recently noticed that other engines, such as the C2x, also has the problem as the C2. The latest games I've been playing were on a bare version of 491302642, so I just plopped down some track and a depot on top of it on some renditions. I've done it with all the default settings before, too. On most of the games, I build a huge city in the northern corner and run a commuter railroad in it, but I have experimented a little with running trains on a bare map. I would like to believe this is reproducible on other installations, but then again, it could be just my installation.

jamespetts

Thank you for that. I can reproduce the issue with the C2 (which is more of an overlap between the locomotive than tender than anything) in 11.35 and 0.9.1, but not in the latest development version, from which I should infer that this has already been fixed, and that the fix should be published with the next release.

I should also add that I have done very little work on Simutrans-Experimental for the past year (with the exception of some work over Christmas) because I have been very preoccupied with moving into my new house. As that work subsides, as it is beginning to do as I have now moved in, I will be able slowly to resume some work, but there is a very large backlog and, sadly, few, if any, other developers at present, so it may be a considerable time before fixes/changes are implemented.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

RailLord

OK, thanks for telling me the problem I'm having with the C2 is fixed and that the fix might be in the next version. The issues concerning work on the game are completely understandable. Heh, if I could, I'd definitely help with improving the game. The only things that are holding me back are having 1 year left in high school and a basic understanding of coding.

jamespetts

Quote from: RailLord on July 16, 2015, 11:12:08 PM
OK, thanks for telling me the problem I'm having with the C2 is fixed and that the fix might be in the next version. The issues concerning work on the game are completely understandable. Heh, if I could, I'd definitely help with improving the game. The only things that are holding me back are having 1 year left in high school and a basic understanding of coding.

Both of those things are fixable with enough time...