News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Play transport tycoon in browser

Started by Dwachs, July 03, 2012, 07:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

eipi

Cool! The thing with me is, in fullscreen mode the screen is somehow stretched horizontally since I'm using a widescreen monitor.

I like Simutrans more, though 8)

Dwachs

In principle the same can be done for simutrans, too! They used a C++ to Bitcode to Javascript compiler.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

Downloading our graphics will be a bit harder, though ;-) The original (open)ttd uses 8-bit palette, so that probably cuts down the size considerably.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

There is a tool, you can use to compile C++ code to Javascript using LLVM. People did an OpenTTD emulation. http://play-ttd.com/ It is slow, but what is most amazing is that is runs nearly decent at all!

However, thinking of the default CPU of simutrans, I fear it will be still too slow.

Ters

What do you mean regarding Simutrans and CPU?

For me, Simutrans only uses 10 % of one 1.73GHz core. And the game I had opened wasn't exactly small, though I'm sure there are more complex maps out there. However, the other 80 % might be spent waiting on I/O, so there might not be room for 20 % active CPU.

prissi

OpenTTD runs on a 486 with 8 MB ram smoothly. Simutrans never did; mostly since it generates even passengers without stops and a typical pakset has way more objects than OpenTTD default. Not to mention the 8 vs 16 bit (although the latter may be even advantegeous on modern OS). But it would "just" require a translation via LLVM and the tool mentioned on the site to check for sure ...

An_dz

Maybe, but it's really hard.
Javascript is an interpreted language, as it's not compiled it's way slower.

Plus javascript is single thread, it can not run multiple codes togheter.

And if there's any error, even if the error is intside an 'if' argument that won't be called the whole code crash.

Convert a C++ software to HTML5+Javascript is as hard as code the software on its own language.

Anyway we won't mind if someone with enough knowledge do so.

Yona-TYT

if "openttd" it  profit,   why "Simutrans" not? ???

An_dz

I'm not saying not to do so, just saying that it's not always that easy.

If anyone do so, it will be awesome.

jamespetts

Hmm, playing this very briefly reminded me how good that Simutrans really is...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

An_dz

Quote from: jamespetts on March 04, 2013, 01:12:50 AM
Hmm, playing this very briefly reminded me how good that Simutrans really is...
Same here. I started playing it and was like: where are the stuff? why this is in another button? I gave up after 5 minutes. :)