News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Speedbonus and actual used way

Started by colonyan, July 23, 2012, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

I just found that speedbonus now takes into account the maximum speed of actually used way. Also so as they run on faster way bonus has increased and went back to low as fast track eneded. This might look subtle change but will hugely help to reduce the unproportionaly large profit. Like I say always, coders are mages for me. Thanks!

Ters

Though it can be a bit of a shock when you upgrade Simutrans without reading the change list.

colonyan

Quote from: Ters on July 23, 2012, 05:44:54 PM
Though it can be a bit of a shock when you upgrade Simutrans without reading the change list.
Exactly. Clean hit shock. A good one.

Ters

Quote from: colonyan on July 23, 2012, 05:54:09 PM
Exactly. Clean hit shock. A good one.

What do you mean by that? I experienced an over 100 % drop in profit.

colonyan

Quote from: Ters on July 23, 2012, 07:12:56 PM
What do you mean by that? I experienced an over 100 % drop in profit.
Ah. I thoght by
Quote from: Ters on July 23, 2012, 05:44:54 PM
"If you do not read change list usually, you might find it surprising that it is implemented."

As you said, profit has dropped for me too. Very interesting feature.

Ters

If I remember correctly, it isn't just the speed limit of the ways that is used to calculate speed bonus now, but rather the complete maximum speed the vehicle can reach on the route. A train so heavily loaded that it can hardly move will therefore also give a lower speed bonus than both the maximum speed of the tracks and the individual vehicles.

And I think it was a good change, but I had to do a lot of work to adapt to it. I still have many red lines, but I'm making a slight profit, relatively speaking.

colonyan

Quote from: Ters on July 23, 2012, 08:13:42 PM
If I remember correctly, it isn't just the speed limit of the ways that is used to calculate speed bonus now, but rather the complete maximum speed the vehicle can reach on the route. A train so heavily loaded that it can hardly move will therefore also give a lower speed bonus than both the maximum speed of the tracks and the individual vehicles.
Even cooler. (^_^)b
So Standard uses different code from Experimental for speed calculation right?

Quote from: Ters on July 23, 2012, 08:13:42 PM
And I think it was a good change, but I had to do a lot of work to adapt to it. I still have many red lines, but I'm making a slight profit, relatively speaking.
It makes challenge as let user decide how much red one will accept to run the network as a whole.

jamespetts

Quote from: colonyan on July 23, 2012, 09:16:23 PM
So Standard uses different code from Experimental for speed calculation right?

Yes - in Experimental, both the routing and the revenue is based on the actual achieved average speeds. In Standard, the theoretical maximum is used for revenue (and speed is not taken into account at all in routing), albeit the theoretical maximum is now calculated in a much more sophisticated way than once it was.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

colonyan

Quote from: jamespetts on July 24, 2012, 10:20:25 AM
Yes - in Experimental, both the routing and the revenue is based on the actual achieved average speeds. In Standard, the theoretical maximum is used for revenue (and speed is not taken into account at all in routing), albeit the theoretical maximum is now calculated in a much more sophisticated way than once it was.

Maybe it is just me. I feel that Simutrans as community is currently at diverted state.
We are having Experimental brach going, new pak sets starting, Japanese community member working on route cost and schedule module, we have multiplayer now too.

But do we have enough experience on what everyone else is doing?
Somewhere in my mind, I fear that community will fall apart. I know I'm exagerating. I'm little bit high on caffeine.
Could we share each other's playing experience as a form of play report for an example to everyone to share their experience further.

That being said, I will try working on my simple play report of my under work pak as I regain back by "simutrans energy" as I'm little bit empty...