News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Default toll

Started by Vladki, October 13, 2017, 07:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Hello James,

I notice that the default toll in pak.britain is 33% of revenue. I seems to be a bit high. Do you have some real world example of such way of charging?

I have been looking at motorway and railway tolls in Czechia, and it seems more to be based on wear induced by convoy: i.e. weight*distance, or max axle load, type of way, pax vs. freight, etc. IMHO, a toll_waycost_percentage would be much more sensible to me.

Also I find out that the public service is charging toll for roads even if toll_free_public_roads =1. 
Is it possible that it always charges for road tunnels and brigdes? Also this option is not accessible in setting dialog.

jamespetts

The Railway Clearing House generally provided that revenues would be divided by mileage (subject to terminal costs for freight, which we do not simulate), which would give the equivalent of a 100% toll_waycost_percentage:

Terminal charges on 10 tons—Bristol (L.M.S.) at 2s. 4d, per ton the station to station rate, Southampton (S.R.) 2s 4d per ton - total £2 6s 8d

This leaves a residue from £10 of £7 13s. 4d., which is divided on a mileage basis, taking the total distance at 100 miles—10 miles on the L.M.S., 30 miles on the Somerset and Dorset Joint, and 60 miles on the Southern Railway.

The apportionment of the £7 13s. 4d. would then be as follows : L.M.S. 10/100 - £0 15s 4d, Somerset and Dorset Joint 30/100 - £2 6s and S.R. 60/100 - £4 12s. The final balance payable to each company would thus be : L.M.S. £1 18s 8d, Somerset and Dorset Joint £2 6s and the S.R. £5 15s 4d

See here for details.

As to the issue with toll free public roads, can you upload a saved game in which this can reliably be reproduced?

As to the final comments, may I ask to which option that you are referring that is not available in the advanced settings dialogue?

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on October 13, 2017, 08:15:53 PM
As to the final comments, may I ask to which option that you are referring that is not available in the advanced settings dialogue?
toll_free_public_roads

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you for confirming: I have now added that to the advanced settings dialogue.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

To help with debugging this, would it be hard to add toll (acces charges) to the conwoy and line charts. Now that can be seen only in finances window.

You can check this game: http://list.extended.simutrans.org/~vladki/debug-saves/demo-9.sve.
If you switch to public player, and check finances you'll see positive access charges from trucks (buses).

jamespetts

I am slightly confused - you refer to debugging something - do you believe that there is a bug?

Vladki

Yes, I think the public player charges road toll even if toll_free_public_roads is checked.

On the other hand seeing how much each convoy or line is paying on tolls might be useful for the player anyway.

Junna

This it does, and has done for quite a few iterations-- on my large save-game, the tolls began to be paid to the public player, despite it being disabled, in 1959-- that would be earlier this year.

jamespetts

Thank you both for the report. Can either of you upload a saved game in which this issue can reliably be reproduced?