News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

British town and street names by country

Started by MCollett, October 12, 2013, 02:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCollett

These are an improved version of the lists that I previously posted to the Pak128.Britain board. 

The list of English town names (1084 entries) is my previous version combined with additional names from the Ordnance Survey Locator, while the Scottish (185) and Welsh (106) ones are just taken from the OS Locator, and could probably do with supplementing from other sources.  For Welsh towns with both English and Welsh names I have used the English ones.

The list of street names was previously from Britain as a whole, but is now split by country. The filtering of 'undesirable' names has been extended.  The most common names have duplicated entries to increase the chance of them being selected, but not in proportion to their frequency: each doubling of the number of occurrences gives one extra entry.  The result is 10544 distinct English names appearing in the gazetteer at least 8 times, plus not quite 7000 duplicates; 2848 Scottish names appearing at least 4 times, with a little over 1000 duplicates; and 2325 Welsh names appearing at least 3 times, with about 700 duplicates.

Best wishes,
Matthew

sdog

MCollett

Quote from: sdog on October 12, 2013, 03:37:21 AM
i've used wolfram alpha for a list of the most populous Scottish towns:
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=12644.msg125510#msg125510

Merging that list with mine brings the total up to 219.

Best wishes,
Matthew

jamespetts

How do you filter undesirable names - do you remove things that are context specific such as "Station Road" or "Oxford Street", or do you mean something else by "undesirable" here?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

MCollett

Quote from: jamespetts on October 12, 2013, 05:25:05 PM
How do you filter undesirable names - do you remove things that are context specific such as "Station Road" or "Oxford Street", or do you mean something else by "undesirable" here?

No, I don't filter on the content of the name, only the type.  So I get rid of things like 'Oxton Bypass', which (a) is nonsensical unless the road really is a bypass and (b) if it is, is unlikely to have much in the way of stops or stations.   

Best wishes,
Matthew

sdog

Offtopic, related to the names:

I've wondered how to pronounce Houston, Renfrewshire. I suppose this might be the best place to ask. (Houston itself, Renfrewshire is clear).

kierongreen

I'd pronounce it as Hoo-ston (rather than Hew-ston as Texans might?)

sdog

Thanks a lot.

So it is also distinctly different from the way New Yorkers say Houston Street (house-ton).

kierongreen

dannyman

In New York City (Dutch->English->USA) there is a Houston St pronounced How-ston.  You can tell who the tourists are if they say Hew-ston.

(Sorry, just saw sdog's commant. ;)