News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Help with heightmaps

Started by Bear789, October 31, 2017, 01:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear789

I'm writing this here in case this is something dependent on Extended, if it's the same with Standard, tell me and I'll reopen the post in the main forums.

Anyway, I'm returning to Simutrans after several years. I'm trying to import a greyscale map in Simu Extended. The process works well, except that it doesn't read half heights at all. So, my questions are:
-is there some kind of setting in the config I have to use to load the map with the intended heights?
-if it's merely dependent on the gray velues I used for the map, what are the proper values I should use? I used those that were given to me last time I played, when half-heights were a new thing. I remembered that they worked as intended back then (but then again, I loaded that map with Standard).

The map is this one, if it helps:
https://ibb.co/cQSoCb

Thanks in advance for you answer.

PS, bonus question, specific to Extended: I'm reading around about passenger and mail classes, but I can't seem to find more descriptions about those. It's intiguing as the name sounds like something I've ever wanted to see in Simutrans (that is, different classes of passengers that have different requirements and tolerance for time travel, comfort, etc. It would be nice to be able to set up parallel train, bus and plane services witout undesired routing - in Standard - or one of the three killing all ridership on the others - as it happened the last time I played Extended/Experimental) :)

jamespetts

Unless there have been significant changes in Standard very recently, the height maps are the same in Extended as in Standard, including with respect to half heights (and I cannot remember now exactly how the two interact), so you might be better off posting a question on the help forum about that.

As to passenger and mail classes, I am glad that this feature interests you. This feature is not yet complete, however, as some work on the GUI and pakset still needs to be done before this can be integrated into the main branch. Currently, the executable that you can download does not include the passenger and mail classes features at all, as these are being developed on a separate branch. However, the intention is indeed, among other things, to try to deal with the issue of parallel routes as you describe.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Bear789

Thanks, I'll open the topic in the Standard section.

Bear789

Sorry to revive this topic, but I finally managed to make my map and I have another doubt.
Now I'm going to manually populate it with rivers, cities and starting industries, so I'd like to ask a question specifically about rivers: I see that there are multiple versions per level (that is, the smaller ones are stram and brooks, then there's an upstream and a downstream version of the large one, etc). I assume that this is an Extended feature because I can't seem to find it in Standard, so I'm asking here what's the difference between those and how am I meant to use them properly?

jamespetts

The idea behind having multiple definitions for each type of river is to prevent too many large rivers being generated when maps are generated automatically. You do not need to worry about this if you are adding rivers manually. This is a pakset feature and is equally applicable to Standard and Extended.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.