News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

How many is suitable

Started by mfanschen123, August 07, 2013, 02:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfanschen123

I play with PAK 128, I want to ask a simple question.
When at the game set,1930 with 1024*1024,  How many cities are suitable, and the average population and industry number, please give me an answer.

kierongreen

Depends on how you like playing. I'd try maybe 64 cities and 20 industries to start with and see how you get on.

ӔO

if you want to setup a passenger network, the minimum I would recommend is 40 cities.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

An_dz

Quote from: kierongreen on August 07, 2013, 02:41:59 AM
Depends on how you like playing.
True, I've been playing for quite a long time on a 192x64 map with 3 cities. :D

Ters

64 cities on a 1024x1024 map sounds dangerously close to end up as one big city to me. I only have half, which ultimately yielded a few metropolitan areas, and some distance between the rest. This suits my preference for some distance between towns, but it may be that other pak sets are most hostile to long tracks through the countryside than pak64, or maybe that towns simply grow much less. I also started much earlier (mid-1800s), and have soon played 200 years, which of course gives cities more time to grow and try to cover the map.

Sarlock

64 is probably a good number for a map that large.  That gives each city an area of 128x128 to grow within before there is any overlap, so unless you play for several centuries you don't run any risk of turning the map into a huge metropolitan area.

If you like more open areas, go with less like 24 or 32.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Ters

It also depends on how much water you have in the map. The more water, the less land there is for the cities.

Václav

I play quite large maps - and I mostly play with 21 cities - with very low median of citizens. This will give you one or two big cities - and other ones will be villages.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní