News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

upgrading trains?

Started by dave, July 20, 2015, 09:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

Hello everybody,

I've been playing experimental for a while, but just noticed the upgrade feature for trains. I can't figure out how to use it though.
When I send the train to the depot there's a button to upgrade it, but the train turns purple, which means it's the same train.
The game just told me an upgrade was possible for exactly that train.

Please help me figure this out!

Thanks!

jamespetts

At the bottom right of the depot window, under "vehicles", where it says "buy/sell", click that, and select "upgrade" instead.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

dave

Thank you for your reply.
I've tried exactly that, but the statusbar underneath the train remains purple, eventhough there should be an upgrade according to the game.
I will try it with another train-type, perhaps the fault lies with this model.

jamespetts

Does it not upgrade when you click it?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Spenk009

Maybe the upgrade is not yet available. The upgrades are based on when overhauls were originally introduced for the vehicle.

jamespetts

The upgrade wouldn't be visible if it were not yet available.

dave

Unfortunately no James, it doesn't work when clicking on it. I tried to upload a screenshot, but the file is too large?

jamespetts

Can you upload a saved game in which this issue can be reproduced to http://files.simutrans-germany.com and past the link here?

jamespetts

The locomotive in the depot is the H2 class: I presume that you were trying to upgrade from the H1? It looks as though you have already upgraded it. There are no upgrades from the H2.

dave

I've got a message saying upgrade is possible to LBSCR-B4. Since this is the LSBCR-H2 i figured it must be for this train? Perhaps it would be helpful if the upgrade message tells you to which train type it applies.

jamespetts

Ahh, I see - the LBSCR B4x, in respect of which I assume that you saw a message, since the B4 itself is not an upgrade to anything, is an upgrade to the LBSCR B4. The H2 is actually a better (as in more powerful and faster) locomotive than either of them, so you needn't worry about being deprived of a valuable upgrade.

There is some merit in your suggestion of explaining what the vehicle is an upgrade to, but this is not straightforward, since in principle, it might be an upgrade to a great number of vehicles, and listing them all would make the message very long and interfere with the smooth operation of the UI. I cannot immediately see a satisfactory way of doing this.

dave

I still don't get it....you only get this upgrade message if there's an upgrade for a traintype you're running? Or when it's available in general?

I would just really like to use this feature ;)

jamespetts

The message is displayed whenever an upgraded version of a vehicle of any sort becomes available, whether or not a player is using any of the vehicle types from which it is an upgrade.

As to what upgrades that you might be able to have on your map in the near future, you will be able to upgrade your E/1 class trams to E/3 class trams in September 1930.

dave

Ok i'm gonna try upgrading my trams! Thank you for your help!