News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Single track railway with multiple trains

Started by accord2, January 23, 2017, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accord2

I have searched and tried but I just can't understand how make this work.
I'd like to create a railway with a single track (two at stations) with multiple trains in both directions. The trains would stop at station and wait for the other train. How should I do this? What signals to use?
I am using Simutrans pak128.Britain
Thanks  :)
Son of a railroad man,  growing up in train stations, lover of trains

DrSuperGood

Normal block signals will work at the end of every platform. If there are single track (no overtaking) stops along the way then use long-block signals instead of normal block signals. Do not put signals at the entrances to the stations as otherwise trains will block the entire system waiting to enter a platform that is in use.

Ters

You should also stick to one-way signals. Click repeatedly on a signal with the signal construction tool to cycle through both and either directions. Trains will selected the shortest route without regard for other vehicles, so at the platforms you will have to force trains in either direction onto different platforms with the signals to avoid a deadlock.

accord2

When I make the schedule does the train uses any platform or only the platform with the red stuff? For example I have station A , station B, station C. Station B has two platforms in both ways. When I make the schedule I only select one for both ways (the same) or I select one for A->C and other for C->A?  Thanks :3

Ters

Trains will initially only go to the platform with the waypoint. So if all trains on the line are set up to stop on every stations, and all their schedules are correctly set up so that trains in the same direction stop at the same platform, then one-way signals are not needed to avoid deadlocks. However, they are still safer, and also look better than two-way signals in this case. You can use a choose signal before the station to route a train to any free platform it can reach at the same station, but I will not recommend using them here. You might end up with a station full of trains going in on direction, and the next station full with trains heading the other direction, which is a deadlock.

accord2