News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Problem with shared stops

Started by Vipera, October 16, 2008, 03:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipera

Hello I have an annoying problem: trucks and ships shares the same stop but have different destinations. The problem is that the trucks "misunderstood" the destination and so when they reach the proper destination they turn back full because on their schedule the actual destination is the same of the ships! I tried to check on the line schedule and everything is ok but they keep to do this. I don't know how to solve this issue

DirrrtyDirk

Sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean... ???

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Vipera

Ok, I'll try to be more clear: I have a coal mine that supplies two different power plants, I'll call them A and B.
The coal is connected to A with a canal and so with a ship, the connection with B is provided by several trucks.
Since the car stop and the canal stop are very close simutrans put them together and actually they works like an unic stop both for ships and for trucks.
The problems begin when it's time to deliver the coal: the ships goes to A, give the coal and turn back empty to the stop.
The trucks goes to B and they turn back FULL (so without giving the coal) because, I don't know why, on their individual window appears that their duty is to deliver the coal to A! But the individual schedule is properly set so I don't have any power to change their route. Obviously i checked the trucks main schedule too (they have a line dedicated) and the line looks like it's set properly. So i think the trucks "misunderstood" the destination and I don't know how to solve it

DirrrtyDirk

Ah - that's much better. Thank you for clarifying!

Three possible causes come to my mind immediately (if these don't solve the problem, I'll think of more  ;))

1.) Make sure that power plant B accepts coal from this coal mine. Not all factories have "contracts" with each other.

2.) Is the stop at B close enough to the power plant that it lies within its coverage zone? (use "v" key to toggle showing coverage zone)

3.) Is the stop at B enabled for goods?

Vipera

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 16, 2008, 05:33:38 PM
Ah - that's much better. Thank you for clarifying!

Three possible causes come to my mind immediately (if these don't solve the problem, I'll think of more  ;))

1.) Make sure that power plant B accepts coal from this coal mine. Not all factories have "contracts" with each other.

2.) Is the stop at B close enough to the power plant that it lies within its coverage zone? (use "v" key to toggle showing coverage zone)

3.) Is the stop at B enabled for goods?

Unfortunately all the conditions are satisfied :( I would like to show you a screenshot but I don't know where to find the screenshots caught by the game

DirrrtyDirk

I think, under windows they should be either at simutrans\screenshot or at My Documents\simutrans\screenshot

Vipera

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 16, 2008, 06:03:38 PM
I think, under windows they should be either at simutrans\screenshot or at My Documents\simutrans\screenshot
So ashamed, I don't know how to attach the picture...

DirrrtyDirk

When you post a message (or reply to one - but not with "quick reply"!)  below the text field, on the left side, there's a link "Additional Options..."

Or you can use http://files.simutrans-germany.com to upload it there and just link it here (which is the better method for this kind of file, I think)

Vipera

Here's the picture: http://www.simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simscr02.png Genova building centrale elettr. porto is A and foggia terreno 1 is the shared stop from where leaves the trucks and the ship

DirrrtyDirk

That picture doesn't help me at all, I'm afraid.  :-\

Could you maybe upload the savegame (if you don't use too many addons?

Vipera

Here's the savegame: http://www.simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/spec%202.sve no problems at all for the addons, I'm using the basic version  ;)

Lmallet

I think I know what is going on...

Is there a steel mill at Venezia building Accieria stazione?  Acciera looks like "acier" which is french for steel :)

I think the coal mine serving the steel mill also has the power plant as a customer.  If Simutrans can find a route between two places, regardless of how complicated it is, it will ship it.

Lets say:
Station A is Venezia building Accieria stazione
Station B is Venezia building Central elletr. statione
Station C is Foggia terreno 1 fermata
Station X is where your coal is from.

The coal mine checks for a route to the steel mill.  It sees it can send it from X to A.
The coal mine checks for a route to the power plant.  It sees a route X to A to C to B (I am assuming you have a train from C to B?).

So essentially, the truck is actually delivering coal from B to C (and makes money), and delivering different coal from B to C (and makes money again).  So you actually have a very efficient truck route, as it is loaded in both directions.

I am taking an educated guess here, judging by the picture, but the savegame will be helpful in proving it.

Edit:  I see you posted the savegame, will look at it soon, but Dirk will probably beat me to it.

Vipera

Quote from: Lmallet on October 16, 2008, 07:15:19 PM
Lets say:
Station A is Venezia building Accieria stazione
Station B is Venezia building Central elletr. statione
Station C is Foggia terreno 1 fermata
Station X is where your coal is from.

Some corrections:
A is the power plant but is not in Venezia is located in Genova, out of the screenshot
B is the Venezia steel mill (acciaieria)
C foggia terreno 1 fermata, the coal mine station, is the provider of A and B
so X doesn't exist

The problem is not losing money or making good profit, the problem is that the steel mill isn't properly supplied because the trucks don't supply it

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, I think I got it... a little hard to explain with all these long Italian station names, but I'll manage.

Just give me a few minutes.  ;)

Your problem is the truck-line from "Foggia terreno 1 fermata", carrying coal to "Venezia building Acciaieria stazione", right?

You think they do not drop their coal at the destination, correct? Well actually they seem to do that alright. But they pick up another load of coal there. That one comes originally from "Bolzano building Miniera di carbone stazione" comes to "Venezia building Acciaieria stazione" by train, then your trucks pick it up back to "Foggia terreno 1 fermata" and from there it travels by ship (among the other coal from there) to "Genova building Centrale elettr. porto".

A little complex, but as Lmallet pointed out: if there's a possible route, simutrans will find (and use) it.

Vipera

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 16, 2008, 07:32:43 PM
Ok, I think I got it... a little hard to explain with all these long Italian station names, but I'll manage.

Just give me a few minutes.  ;)

Your problem is the truck-line from "Foggia terreno 1 fermata", carrying coal to "Venezia building Acciaieria stazione", right?

You think they do not drop their coal at the destination, correct? Well actually they seem to do that alright. But they pick up another load of coal there. That one comes originally from "Bolzano building Miniera di carbone stazione" comes to "Venezia building Acciaieria stazione" by train, then your trucks pick it up back to "Foggia terreno 1 fermata" and from there it travels by ship (among the other coal from there) to "Genova building Centrale elettr. porto".

A little complex, but as Lmallet pointed out: if there's a possible route, simutrans will find (and use) it.

Excellent... So what I have to do? Letting them do it?

DirrrtyDirk

Either that - or you could transport coal from "Bolzano building Miniera di carbone stazione" directly to "Genova building Centrale elettr. porto". When a direct (or just a shorter - i.e. with less transfers) link is available, the coal will no longer go via that complex route. Up to you.

Vipera

Thanks a lot for your help man. I have a problem also with trains. Can I ask here?

DirrrtyDirk

Usually it's one request per topic - makes the threads easier to find for other people.

So I suggest you open a new thread for your other question - unless it is directly related to this.

Vipera

Ok I'll open a new one. Thanks again