News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Wanting to host map. Thoughts?

Started by tubanonymous, June 03, 2016, 10:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubanonymous

Hey guys, I'd like to host a server using the paid service, and I'd like it to be enjoyable for all those who play.

I was wanting to do a map of Britain. I was going to use the largest version of the british isles on the simutrans maps website. I had a few questions

1. What water level should I use with half heights on this map?

2. I notice simutrans games are financially much easier online. What values do people set for costs and maintence/speed bonuses?

3. Speaking of the map, how does one typically go about connecting industries on a  map? I want to manually place industries in somewhat realistic set ups, but connecting factories is so laborious. Should I just cross connect all in settings?

4. What are some things I can do to make the server hospitable for everyone?

5. Do people usually set a road toll? It seems arbitrary, but maybe it would encourage people to share infrastructure more. Think about it, maybe players will be willing to spend more money on projects that normally dont make sense if they make a toll from other traffic

I was thinking of posting some rules on the server at the load screen with markers.

1. If youd like a city or industry created or moved, leave a marker here and it will be considered
2. Public roads may be deleted, but towns must stay connected, used stops must remain accessible
3. Violation of rule 2. will result in no more than and no less than the minimum action required by the host to correct the error
4. Build infrastructure with growth in mind

Be on the lookout! I think maybe it should be called "Brexit Strategies"  ;D ;D ;D

DrSuperGood

1. What water level should I use with half heights on this map?
Experiment until you get something that vaguely resembles a google earth image of the UK. Height maps are a lot of experimentation. What is more important is that most of the land is flat or the map is practically unplayable.

2. I notice simutrans games are financially much easier online. What values do people set for costs and maintence/speed bonuses?
They usually have no financial bonuses. For some reason that one Japanese server keeps insisting on making it easier for players when there is really no need as once you get going you end up with far more money than you can ever spend.

Usually pay_for_distance 0 is used as that is the "easy mode" of Simutrans as it allows you to make money with some pretty inefficient or even messed up lines. In this mode payment is received based on distance traveled between stops, and is usually the default pay mode of paksets.

Speaking of the map, how does one typically go about connecting industries on a  map? I want to manually place industries in somewhat realistic set ups, but connecting factories is so laborious. Should I just cross connect all in settings?
You will need to manually connect. Industry spawn logic needs improvement and to have more support for geographics. Cross connect can work but it is prone to creating huge connection lists as well as potentially slowing load times.

4. What are some things I can do to make the server hospitable for everyone?
Establish some fair rules and enforce them. For example ban Aircraft (easy money), city covering stops (bypass local passenger/mail services) and cargo bouncing (shipping goods between stops with the sole purpose of making money). These are all fairly common rules although Aircraft is really up to personal preference and often in pak128 it is only restricted to freight planes.

5. Do people usually set a road toll? It seems arbitrary, but maybe it would encourage people to share infrastructure more. Think about it, maybe players will be willing to spend more money on projects that normally dont make sense if they make a toll from other traffic
Some do, some do not. Really makes little difference in the end as most companies gravitate towards 100% private ways. A fair toll might be 25% of operating cost in pak128 and 5% in pak64.

1. If youd like a city or industry created or moved, leave a marker here and it will be considered
Seldom see people modifying industry. Often the challenge in multiplayer is to deal with the randomness of industries.

tubanonymous

Thanks for the input

I think Im happy with the map Ive got, and the server is ready to go. Only issue: the max file size is 64mb for the pakset, and the version of 2.6 I have is 90mb. Is there a version of 128 people prefer for online that will fit the 64 mb requirement?