News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

EMD F45, Graphics done? coder wanted

Started by Packer, February 24, 2012, 07:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

it is possible to make 64 car trains in experimental.

Capacity is pretty arbitrary, so the per car capacity does not need to be low. Instead you can just increase production rates.

It's just that there is a 120t weight limit on freight cars, so goods weights would need to be adjusted if cars get lower capacity.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

prissi

If there is demand, I could increase the length of cars in the depot. But with american engines (which are underpowered for such trains) watching them crawling a 10 miles per hour in simutrans would be no fun, imho. Apart from the mega stations you need to unload those ...

Packer

AEO, That's cool to know. I think for stats I'll just borrow them from TTD. PakHD has it's own cost setting deal, vehicles cost in the millions. PakUS will probably be close to Pak128's costs.

Prissi, The set will have it's own cars, and most of them are actually shorter than 8. I would like to get all the engines done to my new template before I code the rail cars. Most of these vehicles are done to a different scale, so the default ones might look odd.  But for now, leave them in.

You wouldn't happen to have a dat.file for the goods in Pak64 and the food chain? I really just want to re-arrange some of the goods to different categories, and probably get rid of the cargo weight. (1 ton should equal 1 ton)

Would using the tractive effort (in kN)as the gear be a bad idea? I.e. the SD70MAC has 175,500 lbs tractive effort at start, which is 609 Kn; so the gear would be 609...
The Pack is back!!

Pak64US vehicles, goods files, road, and terrain tiles: download here
Pak64US would greatly appreciate helpers to get it off the ground:Please Help

Combuijs

QuoteYou wouldn't happen to have a dat.file for the goods in Pak64 and the food chain?

Both can be found on the sourceforge page of simutrans in the svn repository. The whole of pak64 actually and other paks as well.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Packer

Quote from: Combuijs on April 02, 2012, 04:49:55 PM
Both can be found on the sourceforge page of simutrans in the svn repository. The whole of pak64 actually and other paks as well.

Thanks for telling me that. I found it after searching a bit.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Managed to code one of 3 groups of steam engines.  I tried using the stats of the locos from OTTD, but found some could barely pull themselves because they are so heavy (i added gear, don't worry). In addition they are expensive some are crazy expensive (the texas and the challenger cost of 1 million). Might work better if the "tractive effort" setting is made standard

ZIP includes The following:
2-8-4 Mountain
4-8-2 Berrkshire
4-8-4 Northern
2-8-8-2 Mallet (game breaker?)
2-10-2 Santa Fe
2-10-4 Texas
2-10-2 Challenger (was woefully underpowered, still a bit underpowered with the gear setting)
0-6-0 Switcher

IMO, the challenger needs more power. Especially considering that it come after the Texas and Mallet (which have 3729 Kw, but weight 443 and 430 tons repsectively) and some classes were considered the to be among the most power steam engines ever. I might bump the challenger up to 3800Kw. The mallet might need to be more expensive because it is kind of broken atm.

Can someone play with these and give me some input on balance? I have a chart made up with the stats from OTTD if someone wants to tinker with it to make it balanced.

Also is it possible to force a vehicle have to have another vehicle in front of it? Say I want to make this consist:
<GP7][F7B][F7C][F7D>

The F7B or F7C (B in the other direction, F-unit sets were commonly reffered to as FXA, FXB, FXC, FXD) can't lead because it has no cab. But I don't want to constrain the F7B to only be used with just F7s. Is there a way to do this, withouth make a massive list of constraints
The Pack is back!!

Lmallet

Quote from: Packer on April 03, 2012, 03:49:35 PM
Also is it possible to force a vehicle have to have another vehicle in front of it? Say I want to make this consist:
<GP7][F7B][F7C][F7D>

The F7B or F7C (B in the other direction, F-unit sets were commonly reffered to as FXA, FXB, FXC, FXD) can't lead because it has no cab. But I don't want to constrain the F7B to only be used with just F7s. Is there a way to do this, withouth make a massive list of constraints

I don't think constraints understand the concept of "everything-but-none".  That being said, it could be a useful extension request for diesel locomotives, where any locomotive can usually attach to any other locomotive...

Combuijs

If you have no:

Constraint[Prev][0]=none

then that vehicle can'be in the lead. So no constraints at all should do the trick as far as I know.

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Packer

Lmallet, I kind of hoped you would have downloaded the last group of vehicles; there is a Mallet (technicaly 2, if you count the challenger as one) in the zip (pun at the name, though you might like mallet locomotives). I agree with with you about the constraints of "everything but none". I guess leave it to the player if they wanna play with a haysi (sp?) B-unit

Combuijs, IIRC I did that on accident when trying to make tenders work (apparently if doesn't like names with spaces ::'( ) and they became unusable.

I'm working on the early steamers and their evolutions. When done I'll have about 70-80% of the engines done. ;D Maybe I'll treat myself by playing with them a bit :P
The Pack is back!!

Lmallet

Quote from: Packer on April 03, 2012, 10:34:44 PM
Lmallet, I kind of hoped you would have downloaded the last group of vehicles; there is a Mallet (technicaly 2, if you count the challenger as one) in the zip (pun at the name, though you might like mallet locomotives).
Well, I don't know how much of a pun it is, I am a very distant relative of Anatole Mallet, the first person to commercialize compound systems in steam locomotives (and the person Mallets are named after).  That being said, I am a diesel man myself (drools at ALCO C-series). :)  As for downloading, well, I am a little lazy and waiting for a more complete pak US.

VS

I think that if you attach a set of locos (that already compiles) and define the rules for their combinations, someone would write the constraints for you.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

greenling

Packer
Your Trains be looks good out!
I have be downloading all vehicles. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Packer

Lmallet, That's pretty cool you're related to THE Anatole Mallet. It's not strange for ou to like diesels though. One of my great-great uncles worked for the CNW railroad in the late 1800s to early 1900s. I happen to Like BN.

VS, I'm just afraid it'd be a huge list of constraints. I did figure out the constraints that would limit F7s to only be used with other F7s. (A-A, A-B, A-B-A, A-B-B-A). I used that code on one of the the boxcabs that is released (A-A, A-B-A, A-B-B-A)

Greenling, Thanks.

I got the majority of the electric locomotives done. This set has a GE Steeplecab, 2 Baldwin Boxcabs, an ALCO/GE boxcab (loosely based on the Milwaukee RR EF-4), 2 GG-1s, a GE W1, and an E60C. All that's left is the AEM7 which is strictly a freight loco. I'm gonna work on the remaining steam locos next (2 Hudsons, 2 Shays, and a Pacific), then re-do the diesels to be in line with the steams (OTTD's costs)

On a side note I found out that I accidently added an extra 0 in the costs of the previously released Challenger and Texas.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Sorry about the DP, but the electrics were messed up in that last group. Guess I should test them before I release them  :-[

Anyways I fixed them, and the steamers. Many were to heavy to move under thier own weight (I think using actual weight may have been a bad idea), and some were crazy expensive. Unfortunately the ZIP with the steam engines is to large, so I'll split it and attach at another point.

I also managed to get some frieght cars done. So far just bulk goods, lumber, and wood. I made it so the bulk load changes with the cargo. I've been using different goods definintions files. I'll post them later. (For these cars, I made lumber and wood special cargos and waste is now a bulk good)

I'll do steel cars next.
The Pack is back!!

greenling

Packer
Nice vehicles.
i have you sending a Pm.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

Packer

Greenling, I attached the files you requested.

Mods, Do you think PakUS could get it's own child board; or should it wait until all cargos are covered?

I did more work on the pak. I've since added cooled goods (minus the Double-stack), steel, goods, plastic/pellets, and Oil.  Unfortunately I'm limited on size of attachments so I don't think can't upload them all right now.

I think  that only leaves Passengers (and their engines), Autos, and Mail. Am I missing anything? (remember some categories are changed for PakUS; goods file is attached)

To code an engine to appear under the "passenger trains" tab in the depot, I set it's cargo to passienger and set the capacity to 0; right?

Also how much should I reduce vehicle weight? I used real weight and it seems like a bad idea with the early diesels and the later steam engines (I added gear to some) Or should I leave it as is?
The Pack is back!!

Packer

An update/bump. (sorry about the DP, again)

I got the passenger engines done, along with the passenger cars.

The engines are E6-E9, PA1-2, F40PH, F59PHI, GE P42, and the AEM-7.
Passenger cars go all the way back to 1830. No constraints, even with the multitude of variations in the streamlined (usually 3, streamlined has like 10)

I'll work on Automobiles next. The DMU/EMU cars, Acela, Turbotrain, and the Aerotrain (should I make it, the real one kinda sucked?) can wait IMO
The Pack is back!!

greenling

Packer
A big Thank you that´s You be make Vehicles out the USA!
And Thank You that you reach after the Png and Dat´s!
Thank You. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Packer

Your Welcome. Perhaps if I post the sources someone will balance it out or something.

Here's the Paper, Pellets, Cooled Goods cars. So Paper, Cooled Goods, Powdered goods, Bulk Goods, Steel, Wood, Lumber, Passangers and Mail are all covered.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Another update:
Steel and the trainsets and some EMUs/DMUs are done. So the set is fully playable.

In the trainsets.zip are the 2 fastest trains in North America. The UAC Turbotrain (225 km/h in the 60s!!!), and the Bombardier Acela (241 km/h). Also included in that zip are 2 different electric Interurbans (still undecided wether or not they should be trams or trains,but for now they are trains), the EMC Doodlebug, and the Budd RDC. All have passenger and mail versions. I omitted the aerotrain because the real one sucked, but the graphics are there if you want to include it.

The constraints on the Acela, Turbotrains, Doodlebug, and Wood interurbans are fine. The RDC and Steel interurban can't couple to anything, I would like them to only be coupled with themselves (i.e. RDC mail and RDC passengers; Steel interurban passengers, steel interurban mail) Files for them are included in the zip

I also need a bit of help with the constraints with ones the png. Rows are the same vehicle, each set of 8 has a corresponding letter in the top black area. Limited consists are shown in the left black area under each row's name. I have an idea, but I haven't tested it yet.

After the EMUs that I requested help for, I'll work on getting the diesel switchers and the DD40AX done. But for now, some play time with this pak. I think it's warranted now.  ;D
The Pack is back!!

Lmallet

Might want to check your Acela dats, some of the cars show up in the 1940s (intro dates not set).

Packer

Good catch Lmallet. Fixed in and attached it below

Also did double stack intermodal
The Pack is back!!

Lmallet

Ok, you managed to get me playing pak64 again.  No autocarriers yet?  :)

Packer

Cool. Tell me what you think about balance and stuff like that.

As for autocarriers, I thought I uploaded them before. Guess I didn't :-[

Zip contains autoboxes (cars were carried in boxcars before autoracks), an open autorack, and an enclosed one.
The Pack is back!!

Lmallet

A few points (most of them have already been mentionned):

-Rear-pointing locomotives need some alignment work (FTs in A-B-C-D formation are a clear example).
-I like that paper is profitable with your cars.  Paper and railways have a long history in the US (and Canada).
-The locomotive to car ratio needs to be worked on.  I can understand pak64 having more of a European flair with shorter trains, however for any pakUS, 4 FTs should be able to pull more that 10 cars, and some focus should be put on longer trains.  I realize there is a limit for train length, but as an example when balancing one could favor building 12 car trains, instead of penalizing too much via reduced speeds.

Packer

Thanks for the notes Lmallet.

1. Must be from when I was using the same graphics set for front and back views (I learned that I shouldn't). I've updated the vehicles to a template (see my thread on pak64 aligment template) I made and they line up really nicely in all views. The only issue is the | view facing down is a bit (8 pixels) too low (causes them to look like they are derailing when trasitioning to a / or \ view). I'll fix that and update the template when I get home tonight. It won't take but an hour or two at most to re-align everything in the | view, but it'll probably be up in the morning.

2. I've played a few games with the set and haven't bothered with paper yet. Good to know it's profitable. I've gotten plastics trains to be somewhat profitable though.

3. I think that's an issue with the combination of the trio of locomotive weight, rail car weight, and simutran's acceleration model. Lots of them use their real weight in short tons. IDK if that was supposed to be metric tons or not. I've been working on the gear in the units and have gotten it to a reasonable setting (FTs have a gear of 2 now) for the most part. a 4-unit FT will pull a full length coal train with a minor slowdown.

Like I said, I'll post the updated files tonight or tomorrow. I'm at college right now and the files are on the home computer.

Attached is a group of new locomotives. C424/425, C430, GP35, and an SD35. I'll have to edit the existing GP30 to retire when the GP35 comes out.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

Update. Here's a revision for the trains. Basically alignment and stat fixes.

will probably be in multipule posts because I don't have a place to put these all for download.
The Pack is back!!

Packer

part 2 of the update
The Pack is back!!

Packer

part 3
The Pack is back!!

Packer

part 4

Sorry about the multi-post
The Pack is back!!

VS

If you're wondering about lack of comments... maybe... Would you consider making it some sort of pack that can be manipulated as a single entity? I mean, a zip file or something. In the current state - hundreds of scattered files - the "pakset" is impossible to download.

Also, screenshots...

Just a suggestion ;) You're free to decide you want to wait a bit for more items, I don't know your exact plans :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Packer

Thanks for the suggestions VS, but there are some reasons for doing it that way.

I tried to compress it all into one zip file, but it became far too large to attach. IMO the forum attachment size limit is kind of small. That limit is also why there are no screens from me. Guess I have to go use imageshack or something for screens, but what about uploading the actual files?

Are you suggesting that I make it one large pak instead of a bunch of smaller ones? I remember there was a way to do that (raven's old US set was 1 file), but I don't recall how.
The Pack is back!!

Fifty

Quote from: Packer on April 11, 2012, 10:10:13 PM
I tried to compress it all into one zip file, but it became far too large to attach. IMO the forum attachment size limit is kind of small. That limit is also why there are no screens from me. Guess I have to go use imageshack or something for screens, but what about uploading the actual files?

I think the admins have significantly lowered the allowed attachment size. Please do not lump everything into one .pak file, I think what VS is saying is just to have a single .zip file available to download the entire pakset as it stands now, so that someone could just download, extract, and plop it in their simutrans folder instead of going through a billion links.

http://files.simutrans-germany.com/ works well for this, you can just use your forum Username and Password and then copy-paste the link into the forum. Just make sure to increase the expire date from the default 60 days! You can upload screenshots there too (though there are some free picture hosting websites that won't expire).
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Packer

Fifty and AEO, thanks for the suggestions.

Hre it all is, condensed into 1 file:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/PakUS.zip
It contains the terrain stuff checksumdigit did. It's likely to be updated from time to time, so I'll try to keep it up to date.
The Pack is back!!