News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

development snapshots

Started by sdog, December 16, 2012, 07:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

i think i could build development snapshots and push them to the simutrans github page automatically now. I'm a bit reluctant to do it with a cron job. This would perhaps stretch my abuse of a repository a bit too much.

If there is some desire to have this i could do it though. Something in-between could be actual nightlies for a limited time only (eg the week before a release or so)

I haven't tested the script yet, waiting for a new revision on the svn to build.

VS

More nightlies before release could be good! There are often many changes in a single week. It's completely up to you, though, since it will be your resources to exhaust :P

Pak128 has one specific - that huge file with houses that do not change almost at all. You could leave these out (300 MB pak, 30 MB zipped) and have a manageable amount of data. Just tell people to take that from their normal pak128 or something...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sdog

I have an idea.

Zip files are not diffable.
But we could create a repository with the built pak. Such that only new paks would be replaced. Github already provides a way to download the whole repository as a zip, thus would do the packing for us. Trying this is not something i'd do now, but rather in january.

For the time being i'll do some manual snapshots. I'm a little undecided whether i should keep the computer running over the christmass holiday, since at this time pak128 svn->github would be it's only task. If i do, i could try to set it to a daily development snapshot. I'd need to check in my script wether the revision number changed or not and am not sure i can do this before leaving before thursday.

A question here, is anyone actually using the github repo?

ps.: VS, i've been using your pakmak.py, and it worked flawlessly. However it builds the whole pak everytime. This isn't an issue for me, since it has an i7 all by itself, but when balancing a pak set it seem quite tedious when you have to wait a minute after every change before you actually try it.

update: another possibility would be to use a different free host for pak128 builds. Perhaps creating a dropbox account. Links can be inserted to the page as before. For the machine i'm using it doesn't really matter if i build the pakset every hour or every month.

prissi

What is the purpose of yet another nightly server? There is a nightly of pak128: http://nightly.simutrans-germany.com/ I would advise against to main file repositories and servers. This will only cause confusion to unexperienced players. (Thus also pak96 nightlies should rather go there imho.) If it has to be yet another location, then consider to ask werniman to add the link on the  nightly page and not announce it directly please.

The nightly server is updated weekly, since any meaningful gaming usually runs on more than weekly length scales. (Secodn reason also slow upload on ADSL.) Moreover, if this is a nightly pak128 is run on a server, then upgrading server weekly is mandantory. Daily builds would mean a daily upgrading at the time of pak uploading.

The weekly nightly means also less pressure on the maintainer for immediate action. Not sure if VS feels something like this, but for the program there is certainly pressure that everydays version is playable.

And finally anybody wanting to see the last bleeding edge stuff, could very well build it him/herself.

sdog

Prissi, the idea came for two reasons:

At times there is a very high frequency of commits, and several people in the forum who would be willing to test/look at things but have not overcome the threshold of building it themselves.

The nightly server fails to build the pak at times, due to minor mistakes in the pakset. (often file name capitalisation, windows user don't notice) At the moment the latest build of pak128 is a month old and doesn't contain any of Fabio's new railways.

Thus the idea to have develoment snapshots built frequently at such times. For normal play, players still ought to use the nightly versions. (Also no advertising outside of the development threads/github page)

greenling

Hello All
I Think that a Second pak128nightly in the week a nice idea it,
but the checking all exchanged png and dat cost minimum a hour on work.
Then the packing there png and dat to pakfiles cost minimum a hour on work.
And than the upload on the website cost after the bigness of the zip a half hour.
That make minimum two and half hours on work out.
Edit:I Self have not enough freetime to do that.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

sdog

greenling, that's why one wants the computer to do the work: using a script

a link in german for greenling:
http://www.dradio.de/dkultur/sendungen/politischesfeuilleton/1304444/
(auf der rechten seite ist ein link zur mp3, kann man anhoeren, war im radio)

greenling

Sdog
Talk with wernieman how often he have trouble to make a new nightly pakset.
Often have he many tiping faults to remove.
Edit: The Computer can i not over night running let, he stand in the same Rom there i live.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Fabio

Pak 128 is by far the largest pakset at the moment. Werner's server has often issues with it, either building it, either uploading it once built.

sdog

In the light of prissis comment i think it would indeed not be wise to duplicate the nightly server, and also use github in this way.

However at times development snapshots can be quite usefull as Fabio suggested. As a compromise i'll initiate the snapshots manually, this has also the advantage i can check if it actually works, thus addressing greenlings concern.

I'm close to running the whole process automatically, still have some silly bugs in the script. (Compressing r1111 for the 5th time in a row now :-)

here's one for greenling:
278.16user 4.58system 4:24.40elapsed 106%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 802336maxresident)k
4:25 is almost 2.5 hours quicker than the 2.5 hours you estimated

it works now, r1111 is for the taking
http://simutrans.github.com/simutrans-github-project-page/pak128builds/index.html

would someone please download it and test if it works? It'd take two hours to DL here, i'm at an open WLAN in a cafe.

Sarlock

I'm on a very slow and unstable hotel wireless until Friday, otherwise I'd be happy to test it for you.  Thanks for doing that, sdog, very appreciated.  I usually compile a new version manually when the nightly's aren't available... but it's certainly much easier when I can grab one pre-made.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics