News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

SVN is down

Started by An_dz, March 06, 2014, 06:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm going to play with this and see if I can get it working:

https://haanenterprises.com/2013/04/host-your-own-dynamic-dns-using-php-and-cpanel-apis/

Basically, if I can, I might be able to offer dynamic DNS if clients can schedule to run the scripts for Linux or Windows on their end...

Ters

Quote from: Tron on March 19, 2014, 01:31:00 PM
Contrary to some rumors I'm not dead.

I've seen one other open source software site disappear from the face of the Internet without explaination in the last four months or so. Now it looked like it was happening again. And death was only one of my possible explainations for why a site would disappear, not that the others were happy endings either. Simutrans has also seen key people more or less disappear for extended periods before.

In my experience, servers on a dynamic IP (in other words at home) have a high tendency to cause worries. I left a Linux box back at my parents place so that I can synchronize backups back and forth. Some times, this has failed to notify me of it's new IP. Another time, the broadband router's entire configuration was inexplicably reset, shutting off port forwarding. If I had this server at my place, it wouldn't have been as hard to fix, but one the other hand, I wouldn't have noticed. The last time, the router simply choked on something, which seemed to affect inbound connections more than outbound.

And sudden death is still a possibility, so it's best to have something in place that makes us not too dependent on any single person. Even if we were to host the repo on Isaac's server, and others have access to that server, it would make no difference if we're not aware of his unability (for whatever reason) to pay the bills before the ISP terminates the server. We need a backup regime.

Markohs

I'm still having issues installing the svn server in Isaac's server, the mixture of CentOS and cPannel make things harder. The repo works, but as soon as first commit is done, tortoisesvn stops being able to see history.

The only option taht works on CenOS is running the daemon as root (as it's shipped), something I won't do for ethical reasons.

On my personal server, running Debian, the same exact setup, works perfectly.

I'm still on it, but I think the best option is leave Isaac server as the definitive hosting for our subversion. We've had some black days in the past (even I'd say that for being a home server, the uptime has been quite high). dyndns, even being cool, and an nice option, makes no sense when we can host it in a more permanent machine.

But this is, of course, just my personal oppinion.

Ters

Just for the record, I'm grateful that tron has provided SVN for us so far. We've gotten that service for the meager price of one great transport simulation game. I'm glad it's not me having to provide these things.

Markohs

Reading Ters, well, I want to express the same idea. I'm very grateful to Tron for having keep the server alive for so long, and his efforts.

It's just I think the server needs to move to a more stable place, for the good of the project.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm grateful to so many that have put in so much effort. Many have put in much more effort than I have, yet as forum admin for a while (now one of several), I got more public praise. So I feel especially desirous to echo in on this as well. There's a lot of effort put in that's not easily seen, but it's still part of Simutrans.

Tron

The server has a new name now. You have to update the URL in your working copy. Use:
svn relocate svn://tron.homeunix.org svn://tron.yamagi.org

I'm sorry this took so long. I was notified quite late and then it took a few more days to get a new name.

Maintaining the server is little effort. I'm doing this since 2006. There is no problem doing this further. Except for some rare DNS hiccups or me fumbling an update of the box, I hope the service provided was satisfactionary. I can also provide a git repository instead, if this is desired.

wernieman

I change the nightly-build-server and hope, that it work next night (when there is a new version)
I hope you understand my English

Markohs

Turns out I had also a server set up in svn.simutrans.com .

Isn't this a more sutable URL than the one you exposed?

EDIT: I can give you access to the server if you want to setup the server youself, but imho, that URL is not a good one, because it's from a random domain in the internet, and given we already have simutrans.com registered, and servers the community is paying for, makes no sense hosting the repo outside.

It's not that I don't trust your servers or your work, I just want to say the situation should change. I appreciate your work, and thank you, but that URL is bad imho, the server should be *.simutrans.com, or hosted in sourceforge or github.

Why linking simutrans with yamagi.org?

EDIT2: svn://anon@svn.simutrans.com/simutrans

The developers accounts are not created yet, since I just asked tron to restore our current devels passwords himself.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I have a working Dynamic DNS service in progress - I got it working for the first part, but instead of, e.g., subdomain.simutrans.com, it would allow me to assign, e.g., subdomain.simutrans.com with the ability to create/update something like dynamic.subdomain.simutrans.com - i.e. it's one too many steps, because the script I started with had that in mind.

I'm generally in the process of refining it to allow me to delegate somesubdomain.simutrans.com and allow for a URL containing a user/pass to update the IP (either explicitely in the url or implicitely from the machine so connected). It'll take me a little bit because now what I'm doing is starting over with my own script, rather than modifying the one I found.... :) But the principle works.

tl;dr: I will soonish have dynamic DNS working such that anyone who can schedule a URL (curl, for example, or I don't know what else will work, but that's pretty simple) would be able to update with a carefully crafted URL

TurfIt

I'd much prefer if the repository could be moved someplace with a static IP, or atleast to somewhere that doesn't go down every evening to change it...

Quote from: Markohs on March 20, 2014, 03:29:47 PM
or hosted in sourceforge or github.
free today, gone tomorrow.

...Speaking of sourceforge, anyone have a svn dump backup of all the paks stored there?

Markohs

if they are still online the repo can be replicated vía svnsync, Turfit. Emailing you the pass in svn.simutrans.com

Tron

Quote from: Markohs on March 20, 2014, 03:29:47 PM
It's not that I don't trust your servers or your work, I just want to say the situation should change. I appreciate your work, and thank you, but that URL is bad imho, the server should be *.simutrans.com, or hosted in sourceforge or github.

Nobody had a problem with the URL for more than seven years.

Quote from: TurfIt on March 21, 2014, 01:00:08 AM
I'd much prefer if the repository could be moved someplace with a static IP, or atleast to somewhere that doesn't go down every evening to change it...

Due to the IP change it's not available for about two minutes in the middle of the night.

So that's what you get for hosting the server for more than seven years. *shrug*

Ters

Quote from: Tron on March 21, 2014, 05:10:36 AM
Nobody had a problem with the URL for more than seven years.
I think Simutrans has grown over time, with more and more people becomming aware of it. And I have always found it strange that the main source repository is on some unrelated URL I can never remember. When we have to change it anyway, it seems more tidy to switch to a Simutrans domain, rather than another "random" unrelated URL.

So that's what you get for hosting the server for more than seven years. *shrug*
I just don't feel good when someone reports a bug in the latest nightly and I have to tell that player that I'm unable to look into it because I don't have the code for that nightly since a server hosted by someone I don't know how is has disappeared and no one knows what has happened or how long it will be until we can help.

Tron

Quote from: Ters on March 21, 2014, 06:02:01 AM
I just don't feel good when someone reports a bug in the latest nightly and I have to tell that player that I'm unable to look into it because I don't have the code for that nightly since a server hosted by someone I don't know how is has disappeared and no one knows what has happened or how long it will be until we can help.
Wow, just wow. Nobody told me for more than a week! I probably could have resolved the issue within a day, just if somebody had written me that there is a problem in the first place.
There was a problem, I'm sorry for that. I resolved it as fast as possible when I was informed. But you seem to be so eager to get away, here's a full dump of the repository: http://tron.yamagi.org/simutrans.svn.dump.xz (That's what I originally promised to prissi: If he ever does not want my service anymore, he'll get a full dump, no questions asked.)

IgorEliezer

Hey, sorry for hijacking this hot topic.

Quote from: Ters on March 21, 2014, 06:02:01 AMI just don't feel good when someone reports a bug in the latest nightly and I have to tell that player that I'm unable to look into it because I don't have the code for that nightly since a server hosted by someone I don't know how is has disappeared and no one knows what has happened or how long it will be until we can help.
Ters, bad things happen, sometimes, once in every 7 years. ;)

And as Isaac said, it's good to have mirrors.

Quote from: Tron on March 21, 2014, 05:10:36 AMSo that's what you get for hosting the server for more than seven years. *shrug*
IMHO, you should post a few more on this forum. To me you have been a legendary or nearly-mythical figure on this community. Not that you owe us something, on the contrary(!), just for friendship reasons. We on this side barely know you.

Tron

Quote from: IgorEliezer on March 21, 2014, 06:54:11 AM
IMHO, you should post a few more on this forum. To me you have been a legendary or nearly-mythical figure on this community. Not that you owe us something, on the contrary(!), just for friendship reasons. We on this side barely know you.
Sorry, I'm hardly involved in Simutrans development anymore. I worked on it a bit, but that's quite some time ago. Accordingly I haven't visited the forum in a long time. Now my only contribution is running the repository server, which I'll gladly continue to do. But there seems to be a strong sentiment against this. So I provided a dump of the repository.

Markohs

You are taking it personal, Tron, and it's not that way.

It's just about the dynamic DNS, and having a URL related to simutrans, those are objective reasons. It's not that we don't respect and appreciate your efforts. I offered you setting the repo yourself in the server, and you didn't answered.

About the dump, thank you, may I have also the hooks you were using on the repo too, please? I'd also like to have the passwd file, if possible, but by PM, don't post it here because it might contain sensitive information, ofc.

Tron

Quote from: Markohs on March 21, 2014, 10:14:36 AM
You are taking it personal, Tron, and it's not that way.
What is this? I explicitly said I have no problem, if you want to move the repository elsewhere. The consensus of this thread seems to be, that you want exactly that. So I gave you the dump, which I promised Prissi years back. I Handled this professionally and now you claim I'm taking this personally. You plain make no sense.

QuoteIt's just about the dynamic DNS, and having a URL related to simutrans, those are objective reasons. It's not that we don't respect and appreciate your efforts.
Are you aware, that DNS has absolutely nothing to do with the server itself?

QuoteI offered you setting the repo yourself in the server, and you didn't answered.
Huh?
<edit>Oh, you wrote a private message. Didn't see that.</edit>

Markohs

Okay okay, no problem then, I misunderstood you maybe.

I know the difference between a server and a dns entry. But DNS affects the reacheability of the *service*, that's what we had problems with, and the core of the issue.

Tron

I can update any DNS entry, if I have the necessary credentials. Obviously I do not have them for simutrans.com subdomains. I'm sorry that the old name went away. So I had to use another one, which I'm confident will not make any trouble. I'm sorry that it took so long, mainly because I wasn't aware for quite some time, that there is a problem.

About your private message: I'm not going to administrate a server I have no control over. This just begs for trouble, which I can do nothing about, but I will get the blame for.

Markohs

Okay then, Tron. :)

Can you send to me the hook files to see how did you had it configured, please? Or at least the important details. The passwd file whould be useful too, if you feel comfortable sending it to me, vía PM, please. Or I'll need to assign new passwords to everyone. Also, if you want access to the new server, send me your desired password, or if you want me to generate a new one for you.

wernieman

Hey,

at now, is  svn://tron.yamagi.org the official SVN or not? SVN was 2? Week offline and when it is online (2 Days?) there is no checkin?

Greeting,
Werner
I hope you understand my English

Ters

Quote from: wernieman on March 21, 2014, 08:34:35 PM
at now, is  svn://tron.yamagi.org the official SVN or not?

I've been wondering the same. There seems to be a complete lack of coordination at the moment.

Markohs

Well, like all subjects related to simutrans I guess we'll have to wait for prissi or dwachs to have rheir say. But reading past comments, svn.simutrans.com its suposed to be the official one, since has a static ip, it's hosted in the community server and has a url that makes sense.

prissi

Ok, aparently a bad time for being really busy in real life ...

URLs are flexible. svn.simutrans.com can easily forward to tron.yamagi.com or whatever. So the name is not needed to be connected with any service.

I could not relocate to the new svn when I tried yesterday, since mingw and SVN clashed for my installation. I could resolve this today. If I find some more time this weekend, I will check some stuff in.

Personally I am absolutely not maintaining a SVN server. My knowledge of that is zero. Tron has much more IT knowledge (servers, SVN, OOP) than myself. The loss of DNS is something completely out of his control.

I am conservative, I do not like to touch things that are working. Trons SVN was it for more than seven years. Apart from current event and a similar occasion (that time only two days) years ago, the SVN server failed less than sourceforge. In that time we lost the forum twice and were hacked once. Sorry, to put it this way but I am not convinced an SVN on Isaac server is more stable. Hence I would be happy to keep it with Tron as the SVN server part (and the hooks) did work well.

But then my time to devote to simutrans has been less and less and hence my word carry less weight.

An_dz

I'm with prissi, I think Tron's server is stable, that's the first time I saw this happen. We can point svn.simutrans.com to Tron's server and have a 'beautiful link' for our SVN.

isidoro

Whatever the consensus you reach, please don't forget to set a backup policy somewhere else.  This time nothing happened, but what if it had happened...

Markohs

Okay then. Isaac, then you can delete the installation when you wish so.

TurfIt

Due to the IP change it's not available for about two minutes in the middle of the night.

If it was two minutes in the middle of the night, it wouldn't be noticable. However it's been more like 60-90 mins every evening given the time zone differences. But, tonights IP change was much quicker - perhaps whatever yamagi.org is works better than dyndns...

Quote from: prissi on March 21, 2014, 11:26:15 PM
the SVN server part (and the hooks) did work well.

What are these hooks supposed to do? Every time I commit an error about a failed post commit hook comes out, but since the commit itself shows up, I've ignored it.

Ters

Quote from: TurfIt on March 22, 2014, 02:15:09 AM
If it was two minutes in the middle of the night, it wouldn't be noticable. However it's been more like 60-90 mins every evening given the time zone differences. But, tonights IP change was much quicker - perhaps whatever yamagi.org is works better than dyndns...

That's probably related to the time-to-live on the DNS record. This tells how long secondary DNS servers (and possibly end users) can cache the result of a query. A high TTL means that the primary DNS server doesn't have to handle as many queries, but if the IP changes, it will take some time for that change to become apparent to everybody. A low TTL reduces the propagation time of an IP change, but the primary DNS has to handle more queries.

jamespetts

I have noticed that the Github mirror has not been updated in quite some time - is that a problem with the Github mirror, or is that because the SVN has not been updated recently? The last update registering on the Github mirror is 20 days ago.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

I guess it's because however administers the github mirror doesn't know what the new url is. I don't.

jamespetts

Hmm - the Github mirror being down does cause problems for merging Standard into Experimental. Are there any plans to fix the Github mirror?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ters

Quote from: jamespetts on March 22, 2014, 11:41:15 AM
Are there any plans to fix the Github mirror?

Preferrably not until we have decided on how to resolve the SVN issue.