News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

June Challenge - The Rogaland Challenge!

Started by LeifInge, June 03, 2009, 05:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anime

I'll try this one too :) Seems quite interesting, I'm going to get a busnetwork sorted before I do anything else lol.

statto

Very difficult, but this is my first time using Pak128 - too many legacy pak64 games on my computer. I think I prefer pak64.

I am on my 2nd iteration of Rogaland, as I completely mismanaged the first attempt.

The first attempt I made at Rogaland was bus-oriented, but was bogged down first by a poorly placed bus terminal near Stavanger and second by my attempt to build a rail network to increase capacity - I didn't have enough money to do it and I threw away a nice little profit margin and went bankrupt.

The second attempt, I decided to divide the map into threes - North Rogaland (the four northern cities), Stavanger/Bryne, and Haugesund/Sandnes. I first created a bus network for the four connected northern cities, using three local lines for Randaberg, Tau, and Egersund/Sola which all connected at the "North Rogaland Bus Terminal" on the outskirts of Randaberg.

I then set up the Stavanger/Bryne network treating the region as one city, creating a transfer point on the eastern outskirts of Stavanger for the train.

I set up a passenger railway between Haugesund and Sandnes using Haugesund as the hub station (with a stop at the Tower and an oil refinery). I then connected the three major passenger hubs (Randaberg, Stavanger and Haugesund) using the cheapest possible rail network, and then created a national hub station where the three lines converged (to the east of Stavanger). I then had about 10000¢ left in the bank, so I unpaused and let the simulation go!

Using this system I was able to achieve a profit margin fairly quickly. Unfortunately, I had to keep tweaking the network and amassed another 120000¢ in debt, and the profit margin just...isn't...enough.

To top it off, I'm now running 2 trains between Haugesund and the national hub, but I need about 1.5 trains for both Haugesund/national hub and Haugesund/Sandnes in order to continue making money consistently so there's a train I switch back and forth when I need to. I also don't have enough dough to try connecting industries at the moment.

Matthi205

Wow,my first try was bogged down really quickly!

second attempt,but this time with buses,dividing Rogaland into three and using intercity buses between bus terminals and in-city lines.works perfectly,but is not making much profit(yet none :) ),but it is increasing the city growth.Established a mail service with bus trailers.All works fairly well,as I have 200 000 $ left. ;)
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Rohal

Hi Guys,

I althogh devided the country into three parts.
The first are the 4 cities in the north which are covered by two stops and each got one line connecting to the regional HUB near Egersund

The second part is Stavanger and Bryne. Stavanger got a local bus line. Bryne was connected by a seperate line to the HUB at Stavanger.

The third part is the region around Haugesund and Sandnes.
Both cities got an local Busline and are connected by a circle trainline that is connected to all factories and Attractions in the region. The trainline was served by one two part DC 22.

Here a look at the circle line

And here you can see the hub at Haugesund

The regions are connected by one 4 part DC 22.
For the trainlines I used 110 Km/h tracks. To save construction and maintenance cost I used the simple plattform for the stations that are connected to the cheap busstop to acceppt passangers just like this.

And as you can see it´s possible to make profit with that.

Greets

Rohal

Anime

Nice Rohal, your map looks good. I might try something like that, I failed the challenge, I connected the cities with trains and in the city itself I used busses but when I build a industrial network my capital went down lol.

Rohal

Hi Anime,

at the beginning of my game I only concentrate on developing the passanger service, to get enough money for the industry chains. In this game I began to connect the factories at the end of the year 1942 and finished the work by the middle of 1944.

Greets

Rohal

Anime

Thanks :) I think I started far too early with connecting the factories then, I started around 1931/

btw, maybe a stupid question, but how do you transport mail lol? I've got mail stops everywhere but no mail is being transported. Do I need a special kind 'o vehicle?

Edit2:
What kind of busses do you use for people-transport? Those 'Praga Bus 1919's are very slow :x

LeifInge

To transport mail you need mail trucks, u'll find them in the depot where u get busses!

Nice to see all you guys playing this challenge! Perharps I'll have to do it myself too?

Rohal

At the beginning I use the Rvg-KS 33 and Rvg-KS 45, and if needed the Rvg-KS 45 get the passanger trailer.
I start mail transport not before 1950. In this year the combined Passanger and mail Stop can be build.

Greets

Rohal

Anime

Oke, thanks :) I'm getting on quite fine atm. I've used 330k of my capital (still 170k left) and I've already set up the bus-train- network :)

Matthi205

You can use bus trailers for delivering mail.I do so,and I make profit with the lines.
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Anime

Okay lol, I'll do that :p
And do ya'll play those 15 without Fast-Forward? That button is really tempting but every time I press it, some stop gets crowded :x

Rohal

Yes, I played the 15 years without using fast forward. Although if this means that you have to wait sometime before you have got enough money to get next planned things going.

Greets

Rohal

Matthi205

Wow,I use the fast-forward button normally to see if I make profit,otherwise-not.:-)

PS:I don't have a PC-I have an old notebook from apple.

PPS:No,it's not a mac.It's Linux.

Anime

I'm going to use a new tactic lol. I'll connect the factories first and then connect the cities. I hope that gives more profit.

Optimix

Wow! Great that so many people are involved with this
challenge. It's fun to read this all.

It is very addicting: I dont sleep or eat anymore, and I
only play Ragoland... ;D

Finally I am over 30.000 population.
I built 2 large circle lines, and connected them at
Stavenger. Because this could be unrealistic (travellers
have to make stupid travels) I did 2 things.
1) an extra highspeed connection Sola-Sandines
2) circle lines service in both directions.

Here are the screens:
(click to watch full image)

With thanks to hApo for the great hint to be more careful
with building bus-stops.

KrazyJay

Is it me or is the industry chain broken? The refinery can't send out gasoline and chemicals, so I get stuck with the Shopping mall chain...
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Rohal

Hi KrazyJay,

gasoline and chemicals are not needed for the shoppingmall, you only need the plastic the refinery produces for the goods factory.
There is no need for a demand of all products that a factory produces.

Greets

Rohal

Banksie_82

I've noticed a few people saying that they are laying extra lines (train or bus) to make the transport network more realistic, i.e. shorter route for the commuter. Have these people tried Simutrans Experimental?

In Experimental the passenger trips are not calculated based on the number of transfers, but rather total travel time, including the time spent waiting at stops. In addition to this, if the shortest rout is still a long amount of time, some (a percentage based on something??) will just drive their cars.

Speed bonus is also calculated on actual average speed, not theoretical maximum speed like in the standard version.

This means in more built up maps than this one, you can create a network that looks more like the subways of London or Paris, and it will actually be beneficial for your network. Also express routs between hubs don't just ease congestion; they will increase your income because of higher average speeds.

The problem I have with it at the moment is that no pak sets are completely compatible yet. I like to play pak128 but many of the possible features are not included.

Also, I played Rogaland, and shortly after setting up a passenger network, covering all the towns, I had money coming out my ears. I think it was about 90k a month operational profit. So it still needs some balancing. When I had plenty of money I set up the industrial network but my operational profit didn't go up by much. So the industrial part of my business was only breaking even, even though I was using some of the passenger rail network.

In all, I recommend trying it, it's a lot more realistic, and will be even more so when the Pak developers put out compatible versions for it.

Anime

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Rogaland(3).sve
My Rogaland challange, anyone tips? I didn't build a second train-network because when I did that during my second attempt I lost lots of money.

Edit:
August. Year 1932 ; 120,000 Credits left.
Doing quite fine now with my Rogaland Challange lol. Stavanger grew with 152.2 % in 2 years. Total population (of all cities) is now just under the 10.000 and Im in august 1932 atm.

Edit 2:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Rogaland 1933.sve
May. Year 1933 ; 74,000 Credits left.
Doing really fine now atm. Stavanger is growing like nuts and now Sola is too. Sola grew 185.6 % (!!!!) in 3 months. The next-fastest-growing city is egersund, with a growth percentage of 4.2
I've set up a nice bus network that connects all the cities. Ive also got a train network between Randaberg and Stavanger, with a double-Greenclass-Train transporting people (164 capacity). I'll buy a third railwagon if more passangers travel between Randaberg and Stavanger. I think I need to get Sandnes to transport more people, the only people that go to Sandnes go there because of the Ruined-House thats close to Sandnes.

hApo

Here's my another another of this challenge. I haven't bancrupted, but the cash in 1945 is still $-300 000. My profit in 1945 was $190 000 (so if I play to 1947, cash will be OK). I transport only passangers and mail because I hadn't enough money to connect the Goods factory chain (I think $1 000 000 is needed for this). And I realized that It's better to have many doubled Kihas on the double track with one tile stations than one express that need 4 or more tiles...
Total population growed over 28 000.  
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/RogalandC.sve

Anime

hApo

However I have doubled the number of Kihas it has no effect...

Anime

Lol, that kinda suckish. Try to tripple the amount of Kihas :D

Severous

Hi

Ive only played Pak64 in the years 1800-1815 before now.  I'm struggling here.

First off there so much to do . So many choices. New industry. Iron horses. Motorised carts with foul smelling exhaust (not that horse/ox exhaust is particularly pleasant).

I'm trying to be realistic and have a variety of transport types, to avoid multiple lines that take goods on convoluted journeys past their stops.  Profit is hard to come by.

Ive also chosen to ignore the rule about obsolete vehicles.  A cheap sailing ship was used when funds were short.

A couple of screen shots:

Initial set up. Lorries, buses, trains, ships.  No trams or planes..will get them when i can work out how to earn enough cash to afford them.

I planned to use the train carrying waste to the incinerator to bring passengers down to the lake.  There ships take them to the two other ports for onward connection.  Most places are connected with passenger services to help growth.

I was in loan for 3 months so gave up and waited for the bankruptcy.  But it didn't come.  Now 5 months in loan and still ticking over.  Is this a bug..shouldn't the game end after three months of debt?  How far and long can i be in debt?  Can I buy a titantic ship if money/debt is unlimited?

I doubt it. I instead spent money I didn't have to buy a paddle steamer ship. Its quite a bit cheaper and slower. However  its just profitable (earlier obsolete ships are slower and make a loss)

My next challenge if the game doesn't bankrupt me is steel. The steelmill has been making steel and soon reaches its storage limit. I need to transport it if coal and iron is still to be demanded.
Regards
Sev.

Anime

You'll go bankrupt when your Net-Wealth goes negative ;)

jamespetts

Banksie,

thank you for the recommendation of Simutrans-Experimental! Compatible paksets are currently in progress, in particular, Pak192.Comic.Experimental, Pak64-19thCentury-Experimental and Pak128.Britain-Experimental. I have been working on the latter, which should be a very exciting pakset when it is all ready. A beta version of the standard Pak128.Britain is expected out in a few weeks, which should be followed by an early beta of the experimental version. Beta testers would be very much appreciated, as would anyone who can contribute anything to the pakset (not necessarily graphics, although that would be useful, too: anything from testing to researching vehicles to adding to our lists of real and fictional UK town names would all be very helpful).

In general, it's very interesting to see everyone's different versions of hthis same map: it gives an excellent idea of the variety that can be achieved with Simutrans :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Severous

A mistake.  I didnt notice for a year that I was using an incorrect passenger coach.  Instead of a cheaper 70 passenger version Ive been using a high speed 1st class version that takes just 44 passengers.  All benefit of such a plush coach is lost when its pulled behind 0-4-0 tank engines that cart trash to the incinerator.

Doh!

Edit:  Monuments:
- Is there a list of the triggers that cause monuments to be added?
- Why do some, and not all, of the residents rejoice? Is there any cause or significance to that rejoicing number?
Regards
Sev.

Severous

Hi

Ive pulled together this simple table summarizing everyones progress. Click on the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Quite a few gaps eh. 

Please feel free to post screenshots or text a reply saying how you are doing and which year.  I will include your details and post an updated table on a regular basis...at least until we declare 'its over' and move onto something different.

We don't have to play the whole 15 years?  This summary will show how you were doing when you have had enough or if real life events like babies come along and take over.   Recording progress annually we can watch the rise (and fall) of players. If any did particularly well or badly during over certain years perhaps we could have a discussion and learn /help each other.
Regards
Sev.

KrazyJay

Here's my upload. I'm not quite sure whether I'm doing well or not, and if I will continue this one or start all over again. I actually never made it so difficult when I started a game myself... http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/Rogaland009a.sve If there's any advice, please share it with me  ;)
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Anime

Nice :) Can someone give me some tips how to complete Rogaland? Should I start with factories or with passengers, should I concentrate on trains , busses or even planes? Is it worth continuing playing I've you're capital is negative/

LeifInge

Quote from: Severous on June 25, 2009, 06:49:55 PM
We don't have to play the whole 15 years?  This summary will show how you were doing when you have had enough or if real life events like babies come along and take over.   Recording progress annually we can watch the rise (and fall) of players. If any did particularly well or badly during over certain years perhaps we could have a discussion and learn /help each other.

Haha, did u have anyone specific in mind here? ;) Anyway, nice job with the table!

Rohal

Hi Severous,

here is an overview of my population during the period of the 15 years.
Each taken directly after the year changed.

01.1930      8.615
01.1931      9.866
01.1932      10.563
01.1933      11.691
01.1934      13.919
01.1935      15.017
01.1936      16.055
01.1937      17.563
01.1938      18.735
01.1939      19.594
01.1940      20.904
01.1941      21.968
01.1942      23.124
01.1943      24.382
01.1944      25.723
01.1945      26.953

I´ve continued the game, actually I am in 1964. At the beginnig of 64 I had a population of 64.091.

Greets

Rohal

Optimix

Quote from: Severous on June 25, 2009, 06:49:55 PM
Hi

Ive pulled together this simple table summarizing everyones progress. Click on the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Hey there, very nice work!

Severous

Ive got the save KrazyJay.

Your progress, and all other new reports, will be in the next table update tomorrow evening.

KrazyJay. You are loosing money and the first thing that I notice is the station coverage.  Its good..too good. Stops that don't cover any buildings are not contributing to passengers, mail nor growth. They are costing maintenance fees. Transport serving them, if its empty, will be loosing money.  Fewer stops perhaps until the city grows.

15 buses and two trains.  You need more vehicles.  Those you have could have revised routes to stop more often at the stations where passengers often wait? The busy shopping centre is a good example.

I think a town hall should be fully covered by stop catchment area(s) to pick up all its passengers.

You didnt spend your starting money very quickly. Its been eaten away by losses as the years go past. Pause the game at the start to set up many routes and add vehicles and stations as needed.  Rohal and Dutchman on Rails have both posted good accounts and done very well. Take a leaf out of their books perhaps?

The bus terminals and stations look good.  When busy I think they will handle many vehicles easily.  An unnecessary expense at this stage perhaps?
Anyhow. Hope theres something there that helps.  Good luck.

Unrelated to KrazyJay..from my own game.  I hope this will be a profitable route.  Steam powered log lorries are cheap and have the best cost per tile per cargo of the three types of log lorry available.  Hauling wood and then planks on the return journey should make them highly profitable. And I still need some decent profits. Downslope assists acceleration away from the station..although with a 25kph top speed that makes little difference to these well powered vehicles.
Regards
Sev.