News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Strange message about cities

Started by Vipera, October 15, 2008, 02:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipera

Regurarly when i'm playing simutrans appears (on the message bar) the message (the city is just for example): "Amsterdam will establish a new city when will reach 2923 inhabitants (also the number is for example)" what does it mean? I don't see any meaningful change in these cities and I'm pretty curious about it

Zeno

"will establish a new city"? When cities grow, they found new tourist attractions and new industry chains; but I've never seen a city founding another city :o
Check it because, if you didn't confuse that, then might be a translation/text issue. Confirm it please if you can.

Vipera

I'm playing simutrans with the italian translation and it says this, for this reason I'm puzzled like you and I asked explanations. Probably is like you say, a translation error. If somebody is interested to understand what means this strange message i can give a further information: the color of the message is grey (if I'm not wrong there are different colours for different kind of messages, I've noticed that messages about new vehicles or new roads are pink colour)

Zeno

Mmmm... so it appears in the message window... I bet that's the message you get when a city has built a new tourist attraction or industry due to city growing... When you get again a similar message, try to change language to english (and then get back to italian) to see if messages say the same thing, or put the messages here in both languages if you want, and I'll check them  :)

Vipera

Uhm honestly when a new attraction or a new industry is built the proper message appears so I'm not sure if the strange message is related to this or not. Next time I'll take a screenshot and I'll attach it here, also I'll switch the language so maybe doing this I'll be able to understand what's happening

Vipera

Here we are: "Grosseto built a new townhall when it reaches 3721 inhabitants"

DirrrtyDirk

Ok. So the English message is correct - maybe the Italian translation is not?

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Vipera

No, the italian message is not correct at all but... Virtually what does it mean exactly this message?

Zeno

Quote from: Vipera on October 15, 2008, 03:16:03 PM
Here we are: "Grosseto built a new townhall when it reaches 3721 inhabitants"
I think that message means this:

Grosseto has built a new townhall when the city has reached 3721 inhabitants.
So the townhall of Grosseto has been rebuilt (they made it bigger) because the city has grown up to 3721 inhabitants ;D

vilvoh

It seems that the city has upgraded the townhall, due to the city level has been increased. If I remember correctly, the most common city levels for upgrading are 5, 10 and 15.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Vipera

What are the levels of the city? So the message merely informs that they are building a new town hall? Where's the utility of it?

vilvoh

It's just to notify you that the city has grown up. I guess you usually play with more than one city so you can take care of everything that happens everywhere, you know.

The city levels are related with the amount of citizens that city has. If you have more people it implies more city level, more passengers, more goods demand, more industry chains and better buildings. To sum up, it means more bussines oportunities for the players

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Vipera

Excellent, thanks to everybody buddies!

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Zeno on October 15, 2008, 03:28:57 PM
Grosseto has built a new townhall when the city has reached 3721 inhabitants.

or

Grosseto built a new townhall when the city reached 3721 inhabitants.

(built with "t" is already past tense). But I guess the correct grammar is for a native English speaker to tell. Not a bunch of Italian, Spanish and German guys.  ;D

-------

A higher level townhall also attracts more passengers and mail - you also get informed about every new attraction and industry that appears - so I'd say it's logical that such a townhall upgrade is reported, too.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Zeno

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 15, 2008, 03:51:34 PM
Grosseto built a new townhall when the city reached 3721 inhabitants.
(built with "t" is already past tense).
I only tried to remark the past time... just left for you the grammar revision ;D

Vipera

Quote from: Zeno on October 15, 2008, 04:12:17 PM
I only tried to remark the past time... just left for you the grammar revision ;D

I'm pretty sure it says "when it reaches" but I don't pretend to teach anything since my first language it's italian, not english ;D

prissi

These are iternal texts. When the native english people not care about translations (I think about 300+ base texts are not properly translated to english) then this will occur ...

Qayyum

Maybe 'built' should be changed to 'upgraded'? :)
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.