News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Save games becoming unplayable

Started by Moe Ron, February 12, 2015, 12:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moe Ron

As I progress through saved games in pak128brit ex., I'm finding that my games are crashing at higher and higher rates in gameplay until the save files cannot even be loaded from the menu. Here's an example of one of the save files, what should be done in the future?
https://www.mediafire.com/?85va9k5aeuxqv5e

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. Which version of Simutrans-Experimental are you using? Are the crashes occurring during play, or only upon loading saved games?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Moe Ron

I typically use the most recent Simutrans Experimentals, but the crashes periodically occur in every version that I have used. Often times, crashes occur during gameplay, which forces me to save every five minutes or so, but now save files are to the point at which they cause crashes upon loading, rather than in the gameplay.

jamespetts

In which version did you save the game linked above, and does this crash during loading, after loading if if the player merely waits, or after loading only on some specific interaction?
Which pakset and which version of that pakset was used to produce the saved game that you link above?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Moe Ron

This specific save game crashes during loading, but all other savegames in experimental that I still have will crash after 10-30 minutes.
I also believe that the savegame I've shared was created with pak128.britain experimental 0.9.1, and simutrans experimental 11.18, given that it dates back from February 2014.

jamespetts

Ahh - is this a problem that actually involves just not being able to load old saved games with the new development version?

Moe Ron

Well, all my experimental saves will crash after about 30 minutes, guaranteed, regardless of the version used to either make or load it. The issue I currently have is that a number of my experimental saves left are crashing as they load, rather than after a certain amount of time.

Spenk009

Could the game be calling a function that reads from objects ingame, that won't complete because the objects don't have the required data?

jamespetts

Crashing on loading is likely to be a different bug than crashing after loading. Can you upload saved game examples of the former? As to the one that you have uploaded, can you confirm whether this crashes on being opened by the version that saved it, or only by the latest devel-new compile?

Moe Ron

Here's a save game that will crash on loading
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bd9wcpaq4q3bm2l/010515_-_Game_10_Exp.sve
Here's a save game that will crash after time, and it was made in the current version of SimEx and pak128brit.Ex
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hysy49541ozv9if/011515_-_Game_11_Exp.sve

As far as the first game goes, I can't download Simutrans Experimental 11.18 from the thread. It only gives me 11.35 when I download.

jamespetts

Thank you for that. Do I take it that you are trying to load the games in 11.35 and that the earlier game was created in 11.18?

Moe Ron

Correct, the first file should have been made in 11.18, as that was the current version for 6 Feb 2014.

jamespetts

Thank you for that. Trying no. 11, I cannot reproduce the crash in my current development version, which suggests that this bug has already been fixed. I will look into no. 10 presently.

Edit: No. 10 does not crash for me either, although there is one train that has managed to find its way to the sea for some reason.

jamespetts

Hmm - that might be either as a result of a bug or because you are actually out of memory. If it is a bug, it cannot be reproduced in the latest version. How much memory do you have? Can you try running task manager (assuming that you are running Windows) to see how much that you have spare when running Simutrans-Experimental? Your saved games both take up over 800Mb of RAM, so, if your system is running short of memory, that might be the cause.

Incidentally, the train in the sea issue seems to cause a crash when loaded with an older pakset that does not support half heights. I have fixed that crash in my development version, although this particular game seems to generate other crashes in some cases that I am trying to fix now.

Moe Ron

I recently did a bit of cleaning and freed up over 250GB of space, but that error message does still appear in games. When checked in task manager, Simutrans Experimental doesn't use much CPU or physical memory, and it seems to utilise around 400,000Kb with the exceptions of crashes, where that 400,000 will spike to 600,000, followed by a freeze at that level.

jamespetts

Memory usage may well increase during certain operations, such as a path-finding refresh. How much system memory do you have? You may well actually be running out of memory. If you think that this is a bug, can you upload a saved game in which this specific error can reliably be reproduced? If this was the error that you got in the games that you did upload then, if it is a bug, it will have been fixed by now, as I am unable to reproduce it.