News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

multi-aspect cab signaling

Started by Vladki, April 09, 2017, 10:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I have moved further in testing the signalling. Now I have 3 and 4-aspect cab-signalling signals, but they behave somewhat weird. Showing clear, when next signal is at danger. Choose signal showing clear when the track ahead is not reserved...
Is multi-aspect cab signalling supported at all ?

Behavior can be observed in this savegame: http://server.exp.simutrans.com/debug-saves/cab-signals.sve
updated pakset: http://server.exp.simutrans.com/pak128.CS-exp.zip

The whole double track in that save is signalled by cab-signalling - 3-aspect in one direction, and 4-aspect in the other.
Only the stretch between Boleraz and Selpice is track-circuit block so that one can compare the behavior.

jamespetts

I have to say that cab signalling was tested using ETRMS Level 2 style boards, which display no aspects. I presume that you are trying to simulate cab signals that also have a lineside signal display?

Edit: Is this the same pakset as for the permissive signals report, or is this new?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Pakset has been updated, and the main change is that the AZD70 signals are cab signalling instead of track circuit.

And yes this is cab signalling with lineside signals. So in practice you can use it even without the cab equipment.

The cab signal shows the same aspect as the next lineside signal ahead. Cab signal aspects change immediately when lineside signal changes. Moreover if the cab signal is not clear, driver has to push a special button to prove he is alive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

jamespetts

I am afraid that the download link for the pakset appears to be broken. Would you be able to re-upload this? I should be most grateful.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vladki

jamespetts

I have pushed what I think is a fix for this; would you be able to re-test? I should be most grateful.

Vladki

There are still some issues left - it seems that trains do not switch properly between track circuit and cab signalling. Check the trains on line 5, that go non-stop. They switch from cab signalling to track circuit, but not back to cab signalling until they stop and reverse. Trains that do stop in boleraz and selpice swich signalling methods properly.

Some other unexpected issues remain, but I'm not able to yet to specify them exactly, and switching methods seems to be getting in my way...

jamespetts

On the saved game that I have, there are only four lines: can you clarify?

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on April 23, 2017, 12:15:18 PM
On the saved game that I have, there are only four lines: can you clarify?
Sorry  I have progressed in that game a little bit. There is one train without line assigned - (8) CD_811-1 (5 red waggons), that is running non-stop from trnava to smolenice

jamespetts

I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this: the train does indeed switch back to cab signalling on passing through Boleraz towards Binovce. Can you be more specific about where and when it occurs in the saved game as uploaded?

(It is also possible that a recent fix to somethign else also incidentally fixed this, of course).

Vladki

Apparently it is not consistent. I have managed to catch a save (updated the link above), where the 811 train did not switch. Another one which did not switch is the VIAMONT train with planks. (line 4)

jamespetts

I think that I have fixed this; would you be able to re-test?

Vladki

Switching between track-circuit and cab-signalling is now OK. Let's test the cab-signalling more...

Edit:
I have a question about how reservations in cab-signalling work, in comparison with track-circuit. I have observed this:

When train starts from platform with signal, it reserves aspects-1 blocks ahead. (both in cab-signal and track circuit)
In track circuit, new block is reserved when the train comes within sighting distance of next signal. So the amount of reserved blocks (if the track is clear) is always equal to aspects or aspects-1.
In cab signalling, new block is reserved when the train comes within braking distance of end of reservation.
Is that by design?

In my test case, distance between signals was 6 tiles, and braking distance even shorter. So in cab-signaling it had a funny effect, of reserving 3 blocks ahead, passing 3 signals without extending the reservation, and upon approaching the 4th signal (at danger), it again reserved 4 signals. I agree that using 4-aspect signals was an overkill due to the short braking distance, but I wanted to test. In reality czech railways have 1 km distance between 3-aspect signals, and half km for 4-aspect signals.

jamespetts

This is indeed intended - the idea is to reserve as far ahead as is necessary so that the driver always knows that the next signals are clear.