News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

gameplay issue - input and output stores.

Started by mjhn, August 12, 2009, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjhn

I have been trying to play a freight game (1830s trains making up for the current lack of lorries), but have found several issues based on the small size of the input and output stores of most industries in this pack.

The input stores of some of the industries are so small that the arrival of even one train fills the store and stops production.
for instance I have an area where I gather the output of 8 vegetable farms to a single railhead and transport the full load to a grocers, but the grocers has only an input store of .

In terms of the output stores, many of the smaller industries (farms) have such small output stores that the game recognises them as being near capacity even when empty, and so reduces their production, sometimes by extreme amounts e.g. the orchard has an output store of 15 for fruit and 10 for cider, It produces fruit at aroud 10% of the expected rate from the industries production, and will never produce cider as the store has to reach ten to transfer a load to the station and the industry will never completely fill it's output store.

As a solution to this I would recommend increasing the minimum size of an output store to at least 50 and possibly 100, and the input stores to a minimum of around 500.

The Hood

Thanks for the report - this may need looking at.  But can this not be worked around by building more storage space at the station?

mjhn

Building more storage space at the station will not help the issue with the input store as goods being delivered will not be stored at the station.
On the other hand, while good being produced are stored at the station, they are only tranferred in volume of ten units. The overcrowding behaviour which is slowing production down at many of the farms is with amount less than ten in the store (and the orchard is unlikely ever to reach ten units of cider in its store)

The Hood

OK.  This is one of the problems arising from purely developing and not playing the game for a long time!  You seem to understand the problem better, so I will go with increasing storage capacities at all industries in the next release.

AP

Is the problem not simply that you're trying to deliver an entire trainload of goods to one shop? I mean - that's not supposed to work (is it?) Surely the problem is the lack of freight carts, so you can move cider and apples about one crate at a time, delivering in proportion to the demand that exists.