News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

About complex stations

Started by Zeno, January 13, 2013, 04:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I always have expressed how displeasing I find to build complex stations by having to select several different station parts, being difficult for me to identify each of them in our current GUI. That personal feeling has kept me away from creating any station graphics, as long as only 1x1 station tiles are allowed. I have been wondering if it would be possible to address this problem through macros; I thought of defining sets of different station objects which could be built: that way, internal objects would remain untouched. They might be defined outside the game, in order to avoid yet-another-option in GUI; some kind of DAT or menu file definition, that pak maintainers could set up.

That's all, wanted to share the idea just in case...

Fabio

I support any idea of complex stations.
However having already start / middle / end parts allows already interesting stations.

greenling

Hello it Possible to creat on new Submenu for Station, Rail, Signals in the Railwaymainmenu ?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

wlindley

You cannot currently define station platforms other than 1x1, but you can define extension buildings of any size --

Quote from: wlindley on October 29, 2011, 09:33:25 PM
One of the first things I noticed when I started editing graphics for pak128.Britain was that the stone station had extra images defined. Comments in the .dat suggest that, eventually, the plan is to have Simutrans support chained extension buildings the same way that platforms automatically draw "end" and "center" graphics, giving you the ramps at the end for example.

But until such time, there's nothing stopping us from having 1x2 and 1x3 stations, which look like this:

(that original message includes an example .dat section)

At present, the preview in the build dialog is broken (it does not properly replicate the tile-drawing order of the main window rendering), but you can define and build station extensions of any size.  As for the station tiles themselves, you can already define left-end, center, and right-end tiles as well as both even/odd ("front/back") graphics... so, up to six unique tiles for a station that sits on a way. 

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Zeno on January 13, 2013, 04:30:36 PMThey might be defined outside the game, in order to avoid yet-another-option in GUI; some kind of DAT or menu file definition, that pak maintainers could set up.
That's one of the reasons I proposed some kind of in-game console command where you could type a command or execute a script: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9379.0. Instead of changing or creating tons of new options, menus and buttons in the GUI every time a new feature is implemented, in-game commands could take all the charge of these more advanced features.

Ters

Without a simple button, I fear such features would be for computer savvy players only. More so than hotkeys.

greenling

Hello I have at the moment many stations,ways,signals,bridges,tunnel addons not in Use there those addon
be need a Submenu to hold the Mainmenu slim. ::'(
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Zeno

Quote from: Ters on January 13, 2013, 05:16:48 PM
Without a simple button, I fear such features would be for computer savvy players only. More so than hotkeys.
That's why I talk about "macro" stuff. In order to avoid such difficult things, maybe selecting an area that has several stations and/or extensions the game could recognize what's built there, and stored in some "favorites" section somewhere. Such a method would not need complex gui management or files for data definition.

Moreover, I know there's a rule, but 99% of the players would love a highlight of the tiles that the selected building will be placed in; I mean for multi-tile buildings. You know, such visual features make simu-life easier :)
@wlindley: you're of course right. I completely forgot about that functionality.