News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Join game 1 on moblet.servegame.com here

Started by moblet, December 28, 2014, 07:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabiualex

Waiting the server to come back e.e i wat to play  :P
Curitibano, viciado nesse jogo. Sim, eu brinco de fazer Curitiba e refazer e assim vai.

moblet

Up again now. Both games had crashed but everything else on the server machine was unaffected.

Dwachs

Given all these crashes it would be a good idea to move to a more recent version. Afaict, the powerline bug has been sorted out.

Would it be possible for you to obtain core dumps of the server after a crash? If executable was compiled with debug symbols, one can post-mortem try to find what crashed.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

moblet

Quote from: Dwachs on January 15, 2015, 07:10:14 AMGiven all these crashes it would be a good idea to move to a more recent version. Afaict, the powerline bug has been sorted out.
If I run a nightly how do I ensure that players can find the correct version once it's dropped off the list of latest nightlies?
Quote from: Dwachs on January 15, 2015, 07:10:14 AMWould it be possible for you to obtain core dumps of the server after a crash? If executable was compiled with debug symbols, one can post-mortem try to find what crashed.
It would be possible if I knew how to do any of those things.

DrSuperGood

QuoteIf I run a nightly how do I ensure that players can find the correct version once it's dropped off the list of latest nightlies?
You update it every few weeks. Or if you are concerned about stability then browse the commits/ask what has changed and avoid updates to nightlies with major changes.

fabiualex

Heeeyy.. :c these days that i keep out crashed my company  :-[ can i get a new password? it can be the empty slot 1 or 9. Thanks for the help.
Curitibano, viciado nesse jogo. Sim, eu brinco de fazer Curitiba e refazer e assim vai.

moblet

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 15, 2015, 03:50:16 PM
You update it every few weeks. Or if you are concerned about stability then browse the commits/ask what has changed and avoid updates to nightlies with major changes.
Gotcha, thanks.
Quote from: fabiualex on January 15, 2015, 07:48:01 PM
Heeeyy.. :c these days that i keep out crashed my company  :-[ can i get a new password? it can be the empty slot 1 or 9. Thanks for the help.
PM sent.

benjad

I think i killed it this time, and I was just spectating.  Wasn't even doing anything.

- got on, was examining my lines.  (In fact, I wasn't even passworded in yet).
- game froze for about 30 seconds.  Unresponsive to scroll or inspect commands.
- Closed game locally and restarted.
- On restart, server responds, attempt to connect and get the error message "not enough bytes transferred".
- server then becomes unresponsive.

moblet

Server rebooted, game is up again. The status bar on the server had hung and the game refused to relaunch.

DrSuperGood

Quote- game froze for about 30 seconds.  Unresponsive to scroll or inspect commands.
That happens if the main thread gets blocked. That might occur if the server died as the sockets start to malfunction.

QuoteServer rebooted, game is up again. The status bar on the server had hung and the game refused to relaunch.
Server is currently down again.

QuoteGotcha, thanks.
If you migrate to the nightlies you can try enabling JIT2 which both you and 50 may find useful for supplying the industry.

fabiualex

moblet

Quote from: DrSuperGood on January 16, 2015, 02:43:32 PM
That happens if the main thread gets blocked. That might occur if the server died as the sockets start to malfunction.
So the most likely fix for this problem is a motherboard replacement?
Server is currently down again.
Server is back up. Only the pak64 game stopped, the pak128 one kept going.
If you migrate to the nightlies you can try enabling JIT2 which both you and 50 may find useful for supplying the industry.
Happy to do so, but I'll need advice on which version to run as I don't keep up with or test them myself.

DrSuperGood

QuoteSo the most likely fix for this problem is a motherboard replacement?
If it is hardware related? I was referring to the Berkeley sockets which the game uses for network functionality. Due to how slow network I/O is they will usually block the calling thread for extended periods. This is why when you query a server that is down the game becomes unresponsive for 10 seconds as the main thread blocks waiting for a response.

If the server crashes all open sockets on the client are not gracefully terminated. It should recover from this state when the TCP channel with the server times out however that could take a large number of seconds (default is 30?) and even longer if the program defines a larger value. When that occurs the thread will be revived with an error however if it does something stupid in response to this error (such as keep trying to reconnect) then it will appear to block infinitely.

I would not be surprised if there is some error in the network code that can cause an infinite loop or block indefinitely if the server freezes however it might be only in certain states that it can occur. I have also experienced the same hanging style crash on many servers when they go down. Othertimes the game progresses as if the server was still there but issuing orders does nothing.

Asdfe

Hello. I would like a player on your server, please. :)
How do you know what you would know if only you knew what you don't know now?

Fifty

Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

benjad

Both servers "not enough bytes transferred", and crash.

DrSuperGood

moblet

I didn't touch them so they must have sorted themselves out. My internet connection was struggling at times yesterday.

fabiualex

Asdfe

Though my own incompetence, I seem to have bankrupted my company. :P Could I have another slot? Doesn't really matter which.
How do you know what you would know if only you knew what you don't know now?

moblet

Quote from: Asdfe on January 19, 2015, 01:44:26 AM
Though my own incompetence, I seem to have bankrupted my company. :P Could I have another slot? Doesn't really matter which.
Done in-game.

DrSuperGood

I have been having major connectivity issues with the server today. I am not completely certain but I do believe it is the server end and not my local connection giving difficulties. Is the connection being used heavily by someone to do something else? If not it might be a good idea to check if the server is not sending unwanted traffic.

moblet

@Fifty was having difficulty a few hours ago but it didn't seem to be affecting anyone else. He would see "not enough bytes transferred" while I would see the status bar "transferring map" hung and would have to close the map, wait for the sockets to reset themselves, and then restart the map . Are you having this difficulty also or do you think you were simply a casualty of Fifty's many attempts to access the game?

EDIT: by "it didn't seem to be affecting anyone else" I mean no one else seemed to be experiencing his exact problem. Everyone else was affected because the server would hang most times he tried to join the game.

DrSuperGood

QuoteAre you having this difficulty also or do you think you were simply a casualty of Fifty's many attempts to access the game?
Also getting "not enough bytes transferred" errors (which I was getting when 50 was online as well and later when it was only myself). In addition to that when it does load it can take anywhere between expected time to 20 seconds for orders to execute. Some times orders are even lost entirely with me having to re-issue them. The game also hangs for 15 seconds odd from time to time either restoring with huge latency or ending with a disconnect. Due to the latency involved I am often disconnected from out of sync. The map can also take 30 seconds to transfer instead of the usual <5 seconds during this time (usually resulting in the "not enough bytes transferred" error).

This sort of behaviour is symptomatic of high network congestion or extreme packet loss. If it keeps up I will run various ping and trace tests to your server to check if it is not an intermediate hop causing the problems. I would recommend checking that the server system or other systems attached to the server network are not generating excessive traffic.

moblet

On previous occasions when the server hasn't been performing I've been noticing poor internet performance. That hasn't been happening today, although I've not been doing any significant downloading or other activity so hop-type issues wouldn't have affected me. The only other activity on the server is the pak128 test game (which hasn't been crashing).

DrSuperGood

Is it possible the server is overheating? The pak128 appears less active so would be less prone to crashing under such circumstances.

Vladki

I was playing the test gam 128. I noticed extreme lag in depot and changing schedule. I thought it was my 10 y old computer causing the lag.

Sent using recycled electrons.

Fifty

The few times I did get connected, I also had a lot of lag. My client was clearly running far ahead of the server, as it would stop routinely to catch up. I am on a different internet connection than usual, but it should actually be much better than the one I usually play on. I could also connect to benjad's server perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if the Australia - USA fiber pipes were loaded last night and they were kicking strange port numbers? Additionally, since you're running a non-headless server, you've shrunk the window down so there is very little visible display, right? If you have the full display, it can consume a lot more system resources, leading it to lag.

Also: it doesn't seem to be restricted to the 64 game; I also think I crashed the 128 game at least once last night.

jjatca

I would like to join. Any slot if any are still open.

moblet

Overheating is unlikely but I've switched to another machine for the day to see if it makes any difference. The first difference I'm noticing is that while the pak128 game is working, the pak64 game will list but won't respond. Router and firewall settings are the same for both ports. Any ideas?

Yes @Fifty, the visible map window had no action in it.

@jjatca will fulfill your request once the game is up again.

Fifty

And I think I just crashed 128 again. I don't think it's your system since nobody was connected it shouldn't have been under any stress.

No idea why 64 won't respond.

Have you considered trying some new, different port numbers in a different range?

(also, by reducing visible map window, I mean shrinking the window size it so it is just the top bar, not just that there is no action going on there).

DrSuperGood

Could it be I corrupted the save? I did build a crazy bridge across two double height slopes at their high end before all this started.

moblet

The 128 map is still up and I can still connect to it.

I tried listing a new pak64 map on another port and that worked fine. I then tried to run our pak64 game from that port with no success. Also tried two backup copies of the game, one from 36+ hours ago, again without success. The maps all open on the server machine without fuss.

I've uploaded the game to http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/server13353-network.sve if anyone else wants to have a go.

Fifty

I still can't connect to the 128 server -- have tried 3 times and in all cases it hangs, brings up the loading bar, which gets to about the edge of the network game dialog, and then I get the dreaded "not enough bytes transferred."